Review by blueblur595

"LittleBigPlanet Review"

LittleBigPlanet. The name alone might make you think this is a cute and cuddly kids game, but think again. LBP is a well-developed platformer for the PS3, exclusively. Platformers today are a rare breed, and LBP is a nearly-perfect game in every way, shape and form.

LBP has you play as your avatar, Sackboy. Sackboy has many customizable clothes, features and skin. He is very expressive, while you could even make your own costumes and save them. I have tons of costumes (Riku, Sora, Spiderman, you name it.). The amount of customizable options is one strong point. However, let's move on to the next one - Story Mode.

Story Mode have you go into unique worlds, all with their own theme. Each world has 3 main levels and some minigame levels. World 1 gets you to grips with things, as it teaches movement, the restart button and grabbing things. Each other world takes you into different adventures - Ninja Training, Mexican - Western stories, Gothic and Arctic Wasteland are all in here. Each world has specific costumes to match. Pretty cool, if I do say so myself.

In these levels are prize bubbles, which unlock outfits, materials, stickers, music, objects and decorations. You may be wondering what these are for (minus the outfits). They're for Create Mode. You heard me correctly. Create Mode. Everything used in the levels by Media Molecule are REPLICABLE. In prize bubbles, you get materials to make your own levels. All materials used in Story levels are unlockable. I am in no way kidding you. This is where LBP will stand out a few years from now.

After a few tutorial levels, you get your tools for creating. From there, let your imagination run wild. Want a rocket-propelled spy car complete with ejector seat and rocket launcher? Go ahead, make it. Or maybe a motorcycle that can transform into a hoverboard? Go on, nothing's stopping you. Think you can build a better level than Media Molecule? Go and try! See? Whether you want to make full on levels, or just play around, go crazy in create mode.

Wanna share your creations with the world? Go on and publish your level to the rest of the LBP community. From there you can play other peoples levels and rate and favorite them. And believe me, there's lots to discover.

All in all, LittleBigPlanet is probably the single greatest platformer since Crash Bandicoot 3. And if you don't have it yet, stop reading this review and go get it now!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 05/12/09

Game Release: LittleBigPlanet (US, 10/27/08)