Review by WhatTheDeuce92

""Play. Create. Share." What a concept."

LittleBigPlanet has been one of Playstation 3's biggest exclusive titles for a while now. If you own a PS3, you should at least recognize this series. It's one of Sony's more well-known series these days, and it's probably one you won't want to miss out on.

The game certainly is different, I have to say that. It has its own unique style to it, one that's very easy to recognize and differentiate between the competition. There's no clear cut "story" per se, you just control a creature known as a Sackboy and travel through LittleBigPlanet as him. You'll meet a few other interesting characters along the way, but otherwise there's no real storyline or anything to the game.

Then again, being a huge Mario fan all my life, I've grown to not really expect stories when you're playing a platformer, and that's exactly what LittleBigPlanet is. If you're a gamer, I'm sure you know what a platformer is like. And if you don't...well then, you need to look into that. Right now. But, this game takes all the essential elements to a good platformer and mixes them together pretty well, but does it in its own way. See, LittleBigPlanet operates under three basic guidelines: "Play. Create. Share."

I'll go into a little depth with each of those. First, there's "Play." Essentially, this is the "story" mode of the game, and again I use that word loosely. Basically, this is where you play through the levels that the game developers have already made for you. There's 8 worlds total in the game, and each world has about three or four levels, plus some extra challenge levels if you unlock them. Also, the levels are by no means short. I would say in general each world can take around an hour to beat depending on how your play style is. If you wish to just go through the levels, you can, but then you miss out on stuff. There tends to be a lot of hidden, hard to reach areas in the levels, and you'll want to get to these because there's a huge amount of goodies to collect and unlock for use, scattered throughout the story levels.

And that brings me to the next aspect, "Create." Customization is huge in this game. The kinds of items you unlock in the story are pretty different. There are costumes to unlock to dress up your Sackperson however you please. There's stickers and other things like that to unlock to decorate your pod (basically a hub world, kind of). But most importantly, you unlock new objects for the Create mode itself. What is that? Well, rather than spend a whole lot of time making their own levels, the developers instead put a lot of time into giving you A TON of customization options to make your own levels. With all of the tools at your disposal, I think it literally might be possible to make any kind of level you want. So for people that like to make their own creations in games, there's a lot to work with here.

Then finally we have "Share." This one is very simple to explain. Those levels you just made in Create mode? Now you can go publish them for everyone to play. This is where LittleBigPlanet really integrates its online in a great way. You can play levels that anyone else has made. And considering people seem to always be making new levels, you can pretty much have new levels to play in this game every time you turn it on just by seeing what new levels people have published.

Now I just want to talk about some of the other aspects of the game. The graphics are good. Everything looks smooth and consistent, and so it's nice that it all seems to have a polished look to it. For this game, the graphics are more on the artistic side than the high-tech ones, so if you're looking for a realistic style of graphics you won't find it here. It's very cartoonish, but it works really well for the style of the game.

The sound department is mostly good in the game. My favorite aspect of this portion is definitely the music. There's some really good music in all the levels, and it really helps the game keep an upbeat vibe. Overall I was really impressed with the music. I have no problem with sound effects in here, but I also don't have anything special to say about them either. It's almost as if I didn't even notice them. But they're not bad. Now, my biggest peeve here...the voices. Well, to be fair, there's only one actual voice in the game, and that's of the narrator. And he sounds fine, he actually gives the game a nice tone. But you'll encounter other characters who "speak" to you. Except they don't speak, a speech bubble pops up that you have to read. Now, I don't have a problem with that. What makes it annoying for me is that while you're reading the speech bubble, the character "speaking" will make a very distinct noise. Some of them are tolerable, but some, such as an annoying baby laugh, are downright irritating. I would try and read the text as fast as I could just so I could get away from the annoying noises. That just really got on my nerves personally, maybe other people can handle it better.

As one can probably already tell, the game has a lot of content to offer. So, I will say that the replay value is high on this, depending on what you like. In reality, the replay value here is more or less endless. You can always make new levels yourself and other people will always publish new levels too. It's hard to argue that. Personally, my problem is that I'm not much of a creator. I just like to play platformers. Honestly, after I played through the story mode I didn't play it much longer after that. Sure, I tried out creating my own levels and playing some published levels, but all around that part of the game just wasn't my cup of tea. So pretty much after I finished the story mode, I was done. I would still recommend the game to platformer fans even if you only play the story mode just because the levels are pretty fun and creative, but just be aware of what I said if you're like me.

LittleBigPlanet is really good. The things the game does, it does really well. There's a lot of fun to be had here, and if you take full advantage of all the game has to offer, you'll be putting a lot of time into this. You have a good amount of story levels to play through, a creation mode that allows you to make any kind of level you want customized to your liking, and everyone else's published levels to play as well. I thought I'd be spending more time on it, but to me it did get a little old after a while. So, while I did really enjoy this game, I wouldn't classify it as amazing. Just my opinion.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 03/19/12

Game Release: LittleBigPlanet (US, 10/27/08)