Review by ChateauNoir

"Subpar GTA clone"

The hype for GTA IV was astounding, and naturally, this led to many disappointments due to unrealistic expectations. However, there was little to no hype for Saints Row 2. We all knew it was going to be a sandbox GTA clone, with ads even poking fun at GTA IV. However, with my experience with the game, the ad proves to be quite ironic. GTAIV makes this game seem like a last gen game, and that's not saying much.

Graphics (5/10)

The graphics are underwhelming. It basically appears to be on par with GTA3 on the PS2, except in HD. There's quite a lot of texture and character popin, with no excuse for this, considering how mediocre the graphics are. However, graphics don't exactly make the game. I've enjoyed many games with subpar graphics; just not this one.

Sound (8/10)

Music: The music is quite good; there're quite a few radio stations, including one called: The Mix, which features many of the '80s music we come to remember and love. Occasionally, your character will start singing along with whatever's on the radio, which I thought was pretty nice attention to detail.

Voice acting: The Voice acting is decent, however, the voices you choose from are very limiting. There's a British Accent, an accent of a black guy, and a latino guy. Whatever happened to the just plain Anglo American Accent?

Gameplay (6/10)

It's just okay... Shooting people in the face can be fun, especially if you love gore, however, it just gets repetitive every once in a while. There's quite a lot of stuff to do, but the missions are quite repetitive. For example, you have to spray dung on many buildings that take up several levels. It was fun for the first two, but they soon got very repetitive. The gameplay mechanics like shooting leave much to be desired, however. It just isn't that fun to shoot someone as it is in GTA. Although there are decent melee attacks, it gets repetitive kicking everyone in the crotch (male and female) every so often. Sure, you can unlock different combat styles, but there's no use, especially when you can just kick people in the crotch.

Rent or Buy?

It's a decent rental. However, I wouldn't even waste the money renting it. It should just be left on the shelves. Playing GTA IV again is probably more entertaining, and that's not saying much.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 12/18/08

Game Release: Saints Row 2 (US, 10/14/08)