Review by VIP86

"It's getting there."

Bought this game on sale just recently. First assumption when I pop the disc in. Wow, what is going on here? I had to change some of the controls to somewhat match GTA IV controls. Driving around, the damage modeling was horrible. The graphics were sub par. The storyline and progression of it, very lacking. After a few days, I find myself kind of addicted to this game. Is this because I'm waiting for the next masterpiece from Rockstar? Maybe I'm just trying to find out what other sandbox games are out there.

Story
7/10 - It's okay. I understand the whole "gang has disbanded" and "trying to get turf back." Been there and done that with GTA San Andreas. While this story is not horrible, it's not original. A redeeming factor are the cut scenes and briefings for each mission. I'm personally not into stories, so an average score of 7 should be fine.

Graphics
6/10 - This is a game that is release in the current generation. Not last generation with the PS2 and Xbox; but the current one with PS3 and Xbox 360. The graphics really look horrible. I understand that not everything has to look GTA IV or Red Dead Redemption, but come on, they have to do better than this on the next game. The damage modeling was worse than San Andreas. I'm comparing this game alot to Rockstar games. Mainly because this category hasn't really been tapped into that much, and clearly the current champion is Rockstar and everyone else is just trying to catch up.

Audio
8/10 - Voice acting was pretty cool, and car sounds were amazing. When your car was damaged enough, you would hear it spuddering. It was pretty cool that you could make a playlist and listen to it while driving. The music selection, lacking. I found myself listening to the classical music and 80's station more than the hip hop and rock stations. A big letdown for me personally was not including a talk radio station, I'm a huge fan. If I could give a rating for the music selection I would give it a 5/10. You would hear the same song looped after about 20 mins. You have no idea how many times I heard "Final Countdown" in one gaming session of about 2-3 hours. The only redeeming factors in audio for me were the ability to make a playlist, voice acting to an extent, and car,gun, fighting sounds.

Gameplay
7/10 - I'm actually giving this a better rating than I should. Pet peeve is glitches when I'm doing or just finished a mission. Game would freeze and I would have to restart. Not good, and why wasn't there a patch released to fix that? Another thing that seems to happen alot during police chases. I would have a pretty fast car, yet the cops would always be on me every step of the way. Yet when I drive a regular car as apposed to a supercar, I can tell the difference in speed and handling. One of the activities to do is find cars for the Chop Shop. I was looking for a classy Bentley in a suburb. It would take forever to find one, and when it popped up on the map, I would try to drive to the location, but it would disappear in about 3 seconds. I was outraged, mainly because I'm a patient person, I had to do that for about 20 minutes. I tested it out. While driving, I looked back and the cars that were behind me a second ago had disapeared. I would flicker between looking back and forward a few times, and a good 75% of the time, the cars that were on the screens would disappear. Now how does that happen? Seriously, that has to be the most annoying thing in this game. Another annoying thing is when I try to jack a car that I just pulled up in front of. First of all, sometimes they would ram me, lightly, and I would rag doll for a good 5 seconds, then the car would drive away. Another thing, the camera would be out of wack when I get out of my car, that by the time I adjust it and get to the side of the car I want to steal, that car has already gone. The horrible parts of the gameplay would have brough that score down to a 4, but I just love having a gang of 3 people, and if I'm in a 2 seater car, the other 2 would jack a car and follow me. That has got to be the coolest thing ever. The activities such as Fight Club, Chop Shop, Heli Attack, Fuzz, Escort, etc are way fun and add much needed value to the game. The ability to redo missions is awesome. Customization is pretty cool, lacking variety, but you can pretty much customize anything, self, gang, car, crib.

All in all, it's a pretty good game. There's tons of things I hope Volition will work on for the next title, and hopefully fix as well. They have included new things that I was never accustomed to in the sandbox genre. Maybe by the time Saints Row 3 comes out, it can try to compete with GTA. As I said before, I only bought this game mainly because it was on clearance and sale as well, otherwise I wouldn't have been a person to get it when it came out. It was worth it for the price I paid, and hey, I'm actually still playing it, only 1/3 of the way done, and I would recommend it to someone who just wants to have a good time and doesn't care about some of the bugs it has.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 02/11/11

Game Release: Saints Row 2 (US, 10/14/08)