Review by Foxphoenix

"Not perfect, but still a good one"

As a Gran Turismo player for awhile, it was a no brainer to get this one. Sure, it has some flaws, and not all graphical. First, presentation is ok. Much menu cramping, but there's always the home button nearby to skip some backtracking. Then, in GT mode, where you get the bulk of your cars, you will struggle for awhile for money to get the right car required to complete certain race. This time around, the used car lot is not much of a help as well, offering a very limited selection of cars that get replaced perhaps too soon as you race to get the money for them. And with 800 or so in that shop alone, you could have to race and wait for awhile for it to show up again. Also, an used car must be further maintained. yes, you have to use up sometimes twice the amount of the purchase price to get it's oil changed, and chassis and engine "restored", not upgraded, just so it does not suck on the track. Like, 17,000c to fix the chassis of a Ford pick up. No kidding. The so called premium cars are all in the new car dealer. Some choices were odd while others were spot on. Those are the best looking cars in the whole game though.

Graphically, the game has it's ups and downs, with some beautiful cars and tracks and some that can even range on the awful side. Check the Honda Civic or the French made Berlinnete to see what I mean. I do not mind the premium/standard car debate. But I would at least like all the cars to look at least PS2 quality. Not like they cut paper cars with a bold scissors to use as textures. Same with the tracks. I swear the lake in Trial Mountain is completely stiff and frozen over. Another odd thing. While your actual racing moves at 60fps (with some minor slowdown here and there) the replays all move at 30. May not be bad for most, but I miss the awesome replays from GT3. Also seems you cannot select opponent cars to view how they run.

In the end anyway, the solid gameplay makes me quickly forgive all the bad stuff. Cars behave like they should in a simulation game and track layouts are as challenging and fun as ever. Meaning that the core of it still remains as perfect as it should have always been. The return of the racing modification, albeit only for some cars, is a nice addition. If they ever make GT6, I wouldn't mind less cars that look all as good as the other though. After all, other than novelty, who wants to race a 13 hp car on the Daytona Superspeedway?

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 12/06/10

Game Release: Gran Turismo 5 (US, 11/24/10)