Review by DarkArk295

"Great game, but not without its speed bumps."

The first Gran Turismo I played is my favorite racing game of all time. Its great graphics, huge variety of tracks, huge variety of cars, amazing sound quality, and great repeatability. It is a great game all around. That game is Gran Turismo Three. This game, though I would say, is not as good as three and the original, but is way better than four and two. I got Gran Turismo Five hoping to have a great, addictive experience. Although it still has some minor flaws.

Now this game a simulator, which means the goal of the game is to make you feel like your driving a car, being a theme park boss, or flying a plane. So in this review, I am heavily basing this on realism, fun factor, and repetition.

Just to start the intro piano theme to this game is amazing. It is an very addictive theme (like the game) and goes greatly with the video that is shown with it. The cars each have their own, individual rev that goes great with what gear it's on and what type of car it is. ( Because a Ferrari sounds different than a Slug Bug obviously, ) Also, as the car skids across asphalt, snow, wet roads, or dirt, it sounds different depending on the speed and angle of the skid. It's very in depth. The music used when racing is amazing and sounds great with the rush of playing Gran Turismo Five. The sound it makes when you crash is ok, though its the same sound every crash. Masad Kimura and the sound department hit the nail on the head. I love how they put the song ''The Entertainer'' in the GT Auto Shop.

The graphics for this game are astounding, the sun reflections, the rain, how the rain looks on the road, it's just amazing how Polyphony did such a great job on the graphics for this game. They're four different views you can use when driving your car. These views are very realistic and make it feel like your very driving a car! Some are a smooth overview kind of view, some shake around and let you see your hands on the wheel. When you turn the analog stick, the hands turn to the direction you want to turn. I found that very realistic. The roads are very, very detailed too. You can see the bumps in the asphalt and the black skid marks in the road. The intro sequence ( even though its a video, ) is very interesting and fun to watch. It Is basically how a car is made from scratch until its finished and ready for the road. There some amazing tracks that go uphill and around mountains, but they are blocky in areas of the course. Some tracks are similar to the Indy 500, Snow storms, dirt races, on rainy days Grand Canyon, and just normal twist and turns tracks. There are some glares with the sun, like in real life! Its just amazing how good they did on the graphics! Now, There are some not so good moments in the graphics too. The people in the audience are very blocky and flat in the stands and the dirt behind your car comes in 0.3 second waves that don't look very good, but they still did a great job.

Replay value: 8/10

In this game, their are one thousand, thirty one cars and seventy one tracks. There are a lot of different kind of cars and tracks so, you will not really remember a lot of tracks and definitely not the cars. You can change up a lot of things when your driving to make it easier, or harder. You can also change other aspects of the game to what you would like.

Game play: 8/10

When you first start GT Mode, it takes awhile for you to get going, but then you take off in money. To get a lot of money, you have to go on a two hundred lap race and it can get a little boring. The dirt and snow races are more enjoyable to me then plain racing because, you bump around and slide more. It is very cool and realistic. There is also an arcade mode where you can just race without needing to buy cars, and play multi player with your friends. The multi player is fun enjoyable if you actually race, or if you just crash into each other at two hundred miles per hour. It is necessary if you are new to the series to figure out the games controls. There is another mode, track design, it isn't that interactive, you input the weather, turns, complexity, time of day, sharpness of the turns, and how wide the road is. It's not like other games were you make a total customized track ( it'd be better if you could, )but you tell the game what kind of track you want it to be and it will generate a random track. It's an enjoyable new feature if you are bored with the other tracks and want a new kind of challenge. It does get tedious after a while. They did do a pretty good job.

Controls: 9.8/10

The controls are not different from the old games but they do respond faster and are more sensitive. They are easy to learn and remember. My question is, why is the acceleration the X Button and not Right Trigger two? I think it would be more realistic like you are steeping on the pedal.

New players: 9/10

New members of the series will really enjoy this game. It is the best racing game in the market as of now. It has spectacular graphics which I have never seen in racing games. With so many features, the new players will enjoy it, but first will have to learn the controls. Then will use the GT Mode to play the full experience

Long Time Fans: 10/10

If you liked Gran Turismo Four, you will love this one even more. With all its old mechanics still in place, and New features to keep things fresh. Players will have some familiar tracks and some new ones and some old cars from the other games and new cars. It will be the old game with new features and great sound and graphics.

In conclusion:

Gran Turismo Five is an all around great racing game. If you want the best racing game on the market as of today, I would highly recommend getting Gran Turismo Five. It will be a good experience for long time fans and new members of the series. When making this game Polyphony really took a long time to perfect this game to make it the best racing game out there. Even though it might not be as good as three or two, it still is a great game. Every time they put A Gran Turismo out, it dominates the market every time. I hope Polyphony will continue doing what they do best and make racing games!

I would give this game an eight out of ten. It has great graphics, sound, and game play, it can get easily boring after a short amount of time. You will also have to deal with loading times which can be really annoying . Some shadows and dirt have horrible looks at some times too. But, you will easily get over those when you feel the rush of the game. Have a happy race car driving career!

Final Score: 8.5/10

sound: 10/10
Controls: 9.8/10
Game play: 8/10
Replay value: 8/10
New players: 9/10
Long Time Fans: 10/10

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 06/06/11

Game Release: Gran Turismo 5 (US, 11/24/10)