Review by ryans6516

"GT5 Over promised, under delivered"

I love Gran Turismo. I've played them all, and I think PD makes one of the best driving games out on the market today. Now with that in mind I have to say I was extremely disappointed in GT5. PD did a lot of things right, but made one VERY big mistake. It's my opinion that a lot of people out there are very biased in their review of this game, and I personally hold PD to a higher standard. I also want to let my readers know that I purchased GT5 the day it was released and I've put 200+ hours into it. This review will focus mainly on the major flaws of GT5.

Graphics 8/10
As most people know the visuals are stunning. As you probably know by now the major issue is the cars. PD has included over 1,000 cars in GT5. About 200 of these cars are “Premium” cars that look absolutely gorgeous. The amount of detail in these models is nothing short of amazing. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for their “Standard” counterparts. These cars (for reasons I cannot explain) have been given the Bob Barker treatment. It's really a shame too, because these “Standard” cars are some of the best in the game. Don't get me wrong, it's not that they look bad, they just look like they were designed for the PSP not the PS3.

Audio 9/10
The Audio is pretty good. The sound tracks that are provided with GT5 are awful, however, the ability to be able to use music from your own library completely makes up for this.

Gameplay 4/10
This is the reason that I finally put down GT5 and will not be picking it up again. Let me start by saying that I am a car enthusiast. I love spending hours fine tuning my favorite car to shave off fractions of a second off my lap times, and finding the perfect gear ratios for my favorite tracks. If you are like me and enjoy pushing yourself and your car to the absolute max they I have news for you. PD hates you! Yes you heard me right. PD hates you and your little car too! In GT5 you can only have 1 tune setting per car. That's it. You may not think it's all that bad but it is. PD decided to make different physics engines for the A-Spec and Online races. This is a big problem and there are numerous complaints all over the forums about it. Need proof? Go to an A-spec race and try to roll your car. Easy right? Now go online and try it. You can't. This all translates to your cars handling differently online as they do offline. So all that fine tuning you did offline is… well… useless. The biggest differences in handling can be seen in the RR and some MR cars. In GT5 you can tune a car for online or offline, but not both. This was very frustrating for me. I'm also not going to debate which physics model is superior. I personally have no problem accepting either one. My issue is that it's not consistent throughout the entire game… and this is a shame. So you are left a choice. Do you buy 2 of the same car? 1 for A-Spec and 1 for online? Or do you get mad enough at PD to shelve your copy of GT5?

Final Thoughts
GT5 is a great game and I had loads of fun when I first got it. In hindsight I regret spending hours fine tuning my cars. GT5 apparently no longer encourages tuning. This is apparent in the reduction of tuning options as well as the amount of tuning presets that can be stored. My fear is that the GT series is venturing away from their “simulator” fan base and opting for a more “arcade” fan base. With these issues in mind I have to say that GT5 is a step back for the series. 6/10 final score (not an average)

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 06/22/11

Game Release: Gran Turismo 5 (US, 11/24/10)