Review by darcknite04

"Solid, enjoyable game."

Ok, first of all, let me just say that I'm am tired of hearing people slam this game as a knock off of LoZ: OoT, God of War, Devil May Cry, (insert game name here). In my opinion, you either enjoy a game, or you don't. A game shouldn't be bashed simply because it reminds you of another game that you have played. Usually if you enjoy a certain game, there's a chance that you will enjoy another game that is similar to it. The bottom line is that this game is a solid, enjoyable game. If you enjoyed playing any of the above mentioned games, then there's a pretty good to great chance that you will enjoy playing this game as well.

The story is solid enough. You play as War, who is one of the "four horsemen of the apocalypse." You have been tricked into started the "Endwar" too soon, which results in the destruction of the world as we know it. You are marked as a traitor and set out on a quest for revenge in search of those responsible for betraying you, as well as to clear your name. The fighting system in the game does resemble GoW and DMC with upgradeable weapons and the ability to learn new moves. The game focuses heavily on environmental puzzles and using gadgets to solve them (enter the LoZ comparison). Even the boss fights incorporate the most recently gained gadget to defeat that current area's boss. The graphics are nicely done as well. The game does have more of a focus on the game's environments and locations than on character designs and development though. War doesn't really change or develop much throughout the game, nor do you learn much about his life (as much as an immortal entity would have one, anyway) before the events of this game. The locales are a really cool take on what a post-apocalyptic world might look like. The game's one weak point is going to be it's re-playability. Unless you didn't beat the game on apocalyptic mode the first time through, the game doesn't offer any new challenges, new game +, or much else for a second play through (other than a piece of armor that carries over if you manage to find the pieces the first time through).

Overall, I personally really enjoyed this game. I felt that the game's positives far outweighed it's negatives. In my opinion, a lot of the complaints that I have read about this game seem to be petty and "nit-picky." I am sure that I will play through it several more times. It offers a solid story, enjoyable combat system with upgradeable weapons, cool environments to explore, and well-thought out puzzles to solve. If you enjoy action-adventure games such as LoZ, DMC, and GoW, then you owe it to yourself to pick up this game. I think that it will be well worth your time!

Combat System: 8/10

Puzzles: 9.5/10

Characters: 7.5/10

Re-playability: 7/10

Overall: 8.5/10

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 01/19/10

Game Release: Darksiders (US, 01/05/10)