Review by Gamerater66

"MK's first crossover game is the best"

So 2008 was a year of fighting games that were HoF (hall of fame) worthy. Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Street Fighter 4 are 2 examples of good 2008 fighting games, but there was one out there that put new meaning to the word "crossover": Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe. While I'm glad it didn't get an M rating (instead getting a T rating), it also had a unique feel to it somehow. I feel like getting this game soon!

Plot: 9

Raiden from the Mortal Kombat universe destroys Shao Kahn and sends him through a portal. At the same time on Earth, Superman ends Darkseid's Apokoliptian forces by heat vision as he goes through a boom tube. These 2 actions don't destroy said targets, but rather instead, merges the 2 beings into one single being known as "Dark Kahn". As the 2 universes merge, the kombatants, superheroes, and villains all feel a strange metabolism called "Rage", which changes their battle characteristics. In the end, Darkseid is imprisoned in the Netherrealm, while Shao Kahn is trapped in the Phantom Zone.

Characters: 10

The characters are perfect for a crossover game. Even the lack of Johnny Cage was OK! A new character named Dark Kahn and the 10 main mascots of the DC Universe made this game awesome! Did Midway save the best for 2008? That's possible.

Music: 8

The music is really good. The orchestrated beats make for some intense MK on DC action, and the fatality music is cake with that. They give you the sense that you're in the boots/shoes of the characters of the game, which was pretty good for most gamers. Too bad the only thing negative is that each character didn't have their own theme, like in MK9.

Graphics: 9

The graphics are a charm in this game. They're made to play smoothly and realisticly just like in MK9, and it's just good in a game with DC characters.

Controls: 9

The controls are great. You move with the D-pad, attack with the symbol buttons, and block using... I think the Left Shoulder button. The only hard part is inputting those annoying fatalities.

Overall: 9

Conclusion:

Of all the fighting games of 2008, MK vs DC has to be the best of them all in my opinion. It was highly anticipated. The characters are memorable, and it's just otherwise awesome. Thanks for reading, and I'll see you guys next time.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 08/02/12, Updated 09/05/12

Game Release: Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe (US, 11/16/08)