Review by Kev11441

"God of War 3: One of the best games yet for the PS3"

God of War 3 has been in the works for just about 3 years now. Fans and non-fans alike have been patiently waiting for the finale of this incredible series. Did God of War 3 meet expectations? In my opinion, it definitely had.

First things first: One of the main complaints that people have (mostly from people who are wondering to buy the game or not) is the length of the game. Let me try to clear things up for you. I may not be the best God of War player ever, but in my first run-through on Spartan (easy) mode, I completed the game w/ a game time of around 7 hours. Including deaths, this time may be around 7 hours and 15 minutes. Is this a bad thing? I personally think that it isn't. If the game was much longer, then it would feel like there was a lot of unnecessary junk thrown in to make the game longer, which would be bad. The game is the perfect length, and everything fits fine.

Now, on to the actual review:

Story: If you haven't heard, this is the "final" game in the main God of War storyline, aka the finale for Kratos, the protagonist. The story in God of War 3 is, in my opinion, great. Every part of it has its purpose in the overall storyline, from the boss fights to the puzzles. Also, Santa Monica did a great job of incorporating the stories of the past 2 God of War games in the game, in a sort of "flashback" sort of style. This makes God of War 3 more accessible to newcomers, and also refreshes the memory of God of War veterans. The only downside for me was the ending, as it left some loose ends in the story (I did like the ending for the most part, though). Overall, it all flowed very well and I never felt lost playing it.
Score: 9/10

Graphics: I don't think I need to go into much detail here. If you have seen the photos, then you know of how beautiful the graphics are in this game. If you haven't, then you should know that this is the only game that I have played that challenges Uncharted 2 for the best graphics/artwork in a game (not counting PC games). Also, the scenery is just... utterly... fantastic. Whether fighting on the arm of a titan or just running by, fighting sentries as you see Helios fighting a titan in the background, it all just increases the feel of the game.
Score: 10/10

Gameplay: The gameplay is the same as the past God of War games. Although some people say that button mashing will get you through the game, it most certainly will not. Even on easy, the later levels (and the harder enemies) required more than just button mashing to successfully pass. A tiny complaint: Although each weapon has a unique feel to it, the Nemean Cestus is the only weapon that is distinctly different than the Blades of Exile. But overall, nothing new, just a polish on an age-old gameplay style (aka since 2005) that makes it feel just as fun as it did in God of War 1.
Score: 9/10

Sound: The music in this game is top-notch, at least, in my opinion. Each song played a part in the mood of the game, and each was played in the proper places. Plus, the voice acting was very good, only second to the voice acting in Uncharted 2 (only comparing to PS3 games). The music and voice acting in this game definitely made the game better.
Score: 10/10

Replayability: This is what is making some people hesitant on whether to buy or rent this game. The story is a good 7-10 hours long (depending on your difficulty), plus you have the Challenge of Olympus and the Combat Arena. However, these will get old after awhile. The story is definitely good enough to replay multiple times (maybe even after playing GoW 1 and 2 from the GoW Collection to play a whole runthrough of the series), but it will eventually lose its luster. I can just about guarantee that you will play the game more than once, but not much more than that.
Score: 8/10

Overall: This was the final game that this series deserved. Santa Monica spent a good 3 years making this game, and it is clearly seen in the quality product that is God of War 3. There is no doubt in my mind that this is already one of the top contenders for GOTY in a year that is looking to be a great year for gamers. This is a near perfect game that is a must buy for any PS3 owner that considers themselves a gamer.
Final Score: 9/10

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/22/10

Game Release: God of War III (US, 03/16/10)