Review by bawrsl2006

"Chimera here.. Chimera there.. Chimera everywhere!"

Some of you are probably already familiar with Resistance because of Resistance: Fall of Man. This game takes place right after the events of the first game. The first thing I noticed between the two games is the graphics. The first game was a launch title so you can't expect much from it, but this game has some pretty sweet graphics. All the enemies look detailed, and the environments are full. This game is definitely candy for the eyes. If you didn't get a chance to play the first game it's okay because the story isn't really the main focus of this series. Speaking of the story, let's start there.

The story in this game is different than a lot of other shooters. It takes place right after World War II, but instead of the Axis powers being the enemy it's the Chimera. These fierce creatures infect humans with their virus to build more troops for their army. You play as Nathan Hale, who has been infected with the virus in the first game. It gives you health regeneration abilities which makes you an elite soldier. Here in this game you are part of a team of soldiers, called sentinels, who have also been infected with the virus. You and your team are man's last hope of survival, because the Chimera have invaded American soil. When you first step outside of the bunker to see the sky filled with Chimeran war ships your jaw will drop. Insomniac did an excellent job of depicting the urgency of your mission with this beautiful view.

Enough about the story, let's get into the meat of this game. Like its predecessor you begin this game right in the heat of battle. The enemies are fierce and relentless, so you better know your surroundings in order to stay alive. This game is packed full of so much action it was hard to find breaks to just put the controller down and take a breather. One epic battle lead to another with more enemies and bigger bad guys. And trust me, there is no shortage of big guys in this game. Every level has its big goon in it for you to defeat. Having this adds a big twist to the game, and it really gets your blood flowing. Every time I destroyed one of these guys I was filled with a great sense of satisfaction. These giants don't feel tact on or gimmicky either. They just add another layer to the game that the first title didn't have. The big guys aren't the only new additions to the game when it comes to enemies. I think my favorite new enemy is the Grims. You will have loads of fun blasting your way through hundreds of these guys at several stages of the game.

The weapons in this game are a lot like those found in R:FoM, but unlike the first game you can only carry two guns at a time. They all have a secondary firing option which adds new strategies to your fight. Some of the guns have gone through some upgrades which makes them more useful than what they were in the last game. I'm specifically speaking of the Auger which allows you to actually see the enemies through the wall this time around. There's also a few new guns in the game which are fun to toy around with. One of my favorites is the Magnum which fires a powerful round that damages the enemy and as a bonus has the option of being detonated by using the gun's secondary fire option.

Alright, let's talk about online. The online modes in this game are incredibly fun. The rooms I've played in have run completely lag free. I did get kicked out of one game due to a network error, but that hasn't happened to me since. The only problem I have with online is that in order to play a ranked game you have to let the computer randomly generate a room for you. You can't search for your own game to join because custom games can only be unranked matches. It's not a big deal, but a minor flaw in my opinion. The game play in these online matches is very frantic. That is to be expected with rooms that are filled with 60 people! As you hit and kill your enemies you gain experience, after leveling you unlock things like accessories and berserks. Berserks are special abilities you can use during the match. In order to activate a berserk you have to fill your berserk meter. They are definitely nice to use, and are very helpful to you as well. There a plenty to choose from, so you'll get to experiment around a little bit until you figure out what works best for you.

Well, there you have it. I'm giving this game a 10 out of 10 because there isn't anything I would change about it. Insomniac has delivered yet again. There is not one dull moment in this game, and you will never want to put your controller down. So, I believe it's time for you to load up your gun and head out... the Chimera are waiting for you, and there's a lot of them.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/10/08

Game Release: Resistance 2 (US, 11/04/08)