Review by jdawg123

"Can't Resist Resistance"

When I first rented Resistance: Fall of Man I thought "Well it IS an insomniac game so why not?" I couldn't get enough after that. I almost got everything in the first game. I reserved the sequel the moment I could and I'm not regretting that decision in anyway.

Graphics 7/10
Not exactly what I was looking for out of a PS3 game, but there not bad. There is some spots where it looks like they just copied and pasted but then again that water and sky look really good. There were some moments in San Francisco where I just stared at the water, awe-struck. Overall, they could have done better.

Game play 10/10
I got what I came for. This game play runs smooth and lags very little (if at all). The new 2 gun system works really well with the game. Adds challenge as well as strategy. The difficulties this time MEAN what they say. Casual difficulty, a little embarrassed to say, was harder then the easy mode on the last game.

Story 6/10
Probably the only thing I didn't enjoy, was the story. It was your usual apocalyptic story. "World overrun by aliens. You have a gun and a grenade." Although the end was a little... different, you do need to pick up intel to know exactly what's going on. The story is easy enough to follow so you don't need to play the first one to get this one.

Characters 7/10
As always the design of Insomniac's characters is highly detailed (i.e. the 300 foot leviathan). The lack of emotion in them is a drag though. Unlike the last game where the guys had humor, this game does not. People like Werner and Hawthorne and Capelli don't have much background other then the intels in the game. Although highly detailed, Insomniac must of missed the personality aspect.

Multiplayer 10/10
Simply an amazing aspect of the game. If you don't play Resistance for the campaign, then the next reason you play is for the multiplayer. 60 people online has absolutely no lag at all. It runs just like the game would and is epic just like the campaign. Co-op is just as amazing. Up to 8 people and 3 different classes. Enemies of up to 40 on one screen at a time will defiantly keep you engrossed. On competitive, you will always be looking behind you when you're all alone. Possibly the best aspect of the game.

Overall 9/10
One of the best games I've played all year and the best PS3 game all year this game is a must. It is almost good enough to buy a PS3. This game will keep you engrossed for along time to come, not with just the multiplayer but with all the trophies you can obtain. It misses the perfect score mark by so very little. The only con is the weak story and the little character development.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/10/08

Game Release: Resistance 2 (US, 11/04/08)