Review by GodOfWarFanatic

"Although the Campaign falls short, your $60 will not go to waste when you play Multiplayer."

Resistance 2 is the sequel to the highly acclaimed First-Person Shooter, Resistance: Fall of Man. This next installment is definitely a highly action-packed game. Although it lacks a bit in the Single-Player campaign, it truly excels online, both cooperatively and competitively.

The game start's off with protagonist Nathan Hale being forced into an aircraft by Black Ops. As you can guess, the aircraft is blown up and you and Major Richard Blake are the only ones to survive the crash. You encounter some sort of alien thing named, Daedalus, who is controlling the Chimera. You, along with other squad-mates, meet up with a Russian scientist named Malikov who's primary subject of research is the Chimera virus (which Nathan is infected with). Fast forward to 1953, the Chimera come in with a big army and invade the whole US. There are some thrown in surprises, but in the end, it's a FPS. You shouldn't expect a mind-blowing story.

The game looks good, but we can expect better. The only thing that really stands out is the amount of stuff that is put on the screen without any lag or frame-drops (offline and online). The atmosphere fits each location perfectly and the detail is highly improved from it's predecessor. The main problem I have with the graphics, like in most shooters, is that they're just bland. They can be highly detailed, but the color is just...bland. Gears of War 1 and 2 and Call of Duty 4 and now this are prime examples of amazing detail, but dull color scheme. It's not really worth complaining about however, I mean the graphics are excellent, but we've seen better.

The campaign falls short of expectations. Don't get me wrong, it's good, but it could've been drastically improved in several ways. First off, everything is just too coincidental. Prior to several boss fights, there just so happens to be the right weapon to use. The platforms and vehicles that you sometimes need to walk on are perfectly lined up so you can reach wherever you need to go. Not too big of a deal, but it annoys me a bit. Second, more weapons. You have your standard machine gun and the Chimera counterpart, you have your standard sniper rifle and the Chimera counterpart, you have your stand Rocket Launcher, a Pulse Cannon, a Revolver, Mini-Gun, a shotgun. Really, the only weapons that are remotely interesting is the Auger Mark II and the Splicer. The Auger shoots through walls with no damage reduction and the Splicer shoots high-velocity saw blades. The Splicer is definitely the weapon that stands out in the game, such as the chainsaw bayonet on the Lancer in Gears of War 1 and 2. I mean the weapon selection is still relatively satisfying, but is this all they could really give us? Third, Insomniac assumed if the game is bigger, it's better. This is true in some cases, but it's still way too linear, with some extra houses you can enter with no purpose except for maybe intel. It's like walking in a narrow hallway from point A to B, but that hallway just has more space than your average hallway. And fourth, the bosses. They are huge, incredibly detailed, and interesting. So why am I complaining? Well, you do the same thing for all of them, shoot them with a LAARK or Pulse Cannon, and they are way too easy. But then again, at least it has boss battles. Aside from really the weapon variety problem, all these are really just nit-picks.

But the lack of weapon variety saves itself with every weapon having a secondary use. For example, the Carbine machine gun shoots 40mm grenades; with the Bullseye, you can tag enemies so every shoot you take will hit the selected target; with the Splicer, you can charge up the Saw even more so it instantly slices through enemies, etc. The fights, for the most part, are large and intense. Obviously the high point for the Campaign and when the shoot-outs are fun, the game is fun. Therefore, it's fun. Also the checkpoints. The checkpoints are placed in a generous fashion, which is definitely mandatory considering you'll probably die a lot. The A.I. is actually good, both enemy and friendly, although both has some faults. Your primary squad A.I. is great with little to complain about, but the regular foot soldiers are idiots most of the time. They usually stand out in the middle of the battlefield shooting ten feet away from any enemy. The enemy A.I. is fantastic with only one problem. You're primary enemies, the Chimera, will flank your, hide behind cover when taking heavy fire, and rush at you when you're reloading and there is barely any fire. Now the problem, you ask? Well in some parts of the game, mainly indoors, the Chimera seem like they can only see ten feet ahead of them. Meaning even if they “see” you from a distance, they won't shoot until you move in the certain place, or if you shoot at them. A great thing in this game are the Grim parts. The Grim are enemies that look like the vampires from Blade 2, except they are naked... Now I don't know exactly what they are, but they run in huge swarms Left 4 Dead style. Although they go down easily, it's such a pleasure to shoot them with a Shotgun and especially the Splicer. As a matter of fact, the first time you get the Splicer is before one of these huge battles with these enemies.

Overall, the Campaign is definitely action-packed, intense, and exciting, but it's not what you'll want to play once you experience where this game truly shines - multiplayer. First, the Co-Op. You can play this with I think up to 4 friends offline and 8 online. Before each game, in the lobby, you can pick whether you're a Soldier, who are the front-men that kills most of the enemies, a Medic who heals the rest of the team, and the Spec-Ops who supply ammo cases for the Soldiers. All of which you can individually level up and again a variety of upgrades. What you do is you're put into a default location where you carry out different objectives. The enemies also take longer to kill. This mode is very intense. Enemies come from everywhere that you don't even know where to start shooting.

Now Competitive multiplayer. What it lacks in modes, it makes up for in excitement and size (this is where “if it's bigger, it's better” applies to). There are four modes: your standard Deathmatch where you just kill whoever you see; Core Control which is the Capture the Flag mode, Skirmish which is probably the innovative mode which is a squad-based mode where you carry out objectives, and of course, the mode where multiplayer shines, Team Deathmatch. And why does is shine? Four words; 30 vs. 30 matches. Need I say more?

What I really like about the experience system in Resistance 2 is you don't have to necessarily kill an enemy to get experience, like in Call of Duty. As long as you hit an enemy, you will gain experience, you just get a extra bonus for finishing an enemy. In Co-Op, you also gain experience for carrying out an objective. What I don't like, when you want to play ranked Competitive games, you just put which mode you want to play, specify whether you want it to be large or small, and it'll search for it. You can't just look for a game that's about to go on and pick it like it regular non-ranked Competitive matches. Now this wouldn't really be a problem for me, but even if you pick “Team Deathmatch” and “Large,” it'll still put you in a 5 vs. 5 game. Game lies to you... You can pick which weapons you want to start with and a Berserk, which are special powers you can use when you're able to. Honestly, they are useful, but sometimes you'll probably forget about using them.

Needless to say, this game is worth buying for Multiplayer alone. It's just so exciting, so addicting, so intense that it's worth $60 bucks. Just make sure to play the Single-Player campaign first, or you'll just forget about it...maybe. In short, if you don't have online, this game is a rental, if you do have online, buy it (if you're a fan of shooters, obviously). Your $60 will definitely not go to waste on this one.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/12/09

Game Release: Resistance 2 (US, 11/04/08)