Review by dciguy01

"A landmark in the gaming industry"

After 15 years of planning, development, testing, and teasing, Duke Nukem Forever finally hits the consumer market. With all that time, you would think it would be stunning and perfect. In honesty, it falls short of my expectations, but then again we had the right to have such lofty expectations after so much development. OK, in truth that is not a fair statement because this game was stalled for a number of years and not in constant development all that time. But I digress...

Where do I start? The opening sequence is stunning. The intro basically recaps all four original episodes of Duke3D with outstanding graphics. In the background is the Duke Nukem theme song remixed in a kickass metal version. It really gets you psyched to play the game.

Gameplay is FPS with a lot of little side games and interactions. You can play pinball, air hockey, video poker, slot machines, etc. Of course, what would this game be without Duke's catchphrases? He uses a few from Duke3D and quite a few new ones which had me laughing so hard. Action is intense and classic Duke Nukem.

The big question on many people's minds: is there nudity in this game? YES! There's plenty of T&A to go around, lots of sexual references and innuendos, and there are (at least) two scenes in the game where Duke gets some action.

The downsides to the game? The graphics are a little outdated. Not much, but it is evident. A side by side comparison shows the PS3 version to be better than the 360, but the PC version is the best (no surprise.) The other thing that really detracts from the game is the load times. It takes about 20-30 seconds to load a level. This wouldn't be so bad, except that if you die (and you will) the game has to go through that tedious 20-30 second loading process EVERY SINGLE TIME. Fortunately it doesn't necessarily send you back to the start of the level; just the last checkpoint you hit.

The multiplayer version is what you would expect from a FPS game, but I will say that the time it takes to load the master server list is atrociously long. You don't acquire any trophies for MP, which makes me think I won't be playing MP that much. I will probably stick to COD: Black Ops for my MP fix though, better choice of weapons and modes IMO.

If you are a hardcore Duke Nukem fan, this is a must buy. Otherwise I recommend you give it a rent beforehand. This is a landmark in the gaming industry and anyone who has ever played Duke3D or an FPS in the past 12 years owes it to themselves to play this game.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 06/20/11, Updated 10/17/11

Game Release: Duke Nukem Forever (US, 06/14/11)