Review by acid2008

"Great game to add to your collection."

Batman Arkham Asylum (herein refer to as BAA) is certainly one of the best games in 2009. With great reviews and recommendations from official gaming magazines and gamers, it would be very difficult to ignore it. This review is based on my personal experience after playing it for several weeks now and getting 75% completion. This review also serves as a brief and useful information for those who would like to know whether this game is worth your time and money.

Standard (S) VS Collector's Edition (CE)
In S version, you would get a game disc and a manual book. CE on the other hand offers extra goodies; a 14' Batarang and complete characters bios nicely scrapped in a form of a note book. Please note that all bios can be achieved by getting 100% completion of the game.

Good Story
When you put Joker and Batman in one cage, you know that Batman will always fall into Joker's sadistic and wacky plan. There's no difference from this one. The whole settings are set in the Arkham Asylum Facility in a remote island. Batman got cheated and fell into a trap (or joker's plan if you would prefer it that way). The Bat went through a hell and faces various enemies such as Croc, Poison Ivy and the lovely Harley with her sexy outfit. In the end, Batman managed to defeat the Joker and save Arkham Asylum. Typical storyline when it comes to superheroes.

Graphics
Certainly one of the best graphics you'd ever seen but not the best in its category. Powered by the Unreal Engine, you are served with great character models (bulky if I may add) and with great environment in each level you played. Bottom line, you won't be disappointed nor complaining once you insert the disc. Note that there are glitches in few of the cut scenes. For example the frames during the intro seemed slow and this (sometimes) irritates me. But it's just minor.

Gameplay
Great! The fighting mechanics in this game is called ‘free flow combat system'. It's very easy to master and after few rounds you will definitely enjoy beating the crap out of the villains. Besides the combat system, the predator mode is also an added advantage to this already great game. Predator mode gives you the ability to see through everything, and I mean everything. You will be able to see through walls and the enemy is all in a skeleton x-ray form. I really enjoy using this mode and see all the ‘skeletons' moving around. Red color skeleton means that they are armed with weapons and blue skeletons color means they are unarmed. This mode helps you to plan your attack and survive. As a superhero, you're given plenty of bat kits such as bat claws, batarang, etc to make you look cool. Completing Riddler's trophies and riddles will unlock the challenge mode (trust me; you'll be addicted to it). One last important thing about the game-play is that you can play as the Joker (this mode is only available in PS3 version). Just download it from the Playstation Store and you're set to go.

Overall, I'd say that this game really deserves a respect and I've been playing it again and again for quite sometime now. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. Rent it if you still have doubt. That's it for now. I'm off to Arkham Asylum, got some villains to take care off!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/06/09

Game Release: Batman: Arkham Asylum (AU, 09/03/09)