Review by CLURPY

"Good game mirred with moments of tedium"

I have taken my time to fully write my review for this game as I wanted the review to be critical but fair.

Batman Arkham Asylum is a great game that just gets flat out tedious and frustrating to the point of putting it down for a couple of days / weeks / months that it takes away from the overall game.

I find certain elements just don't match up ( stealth to platforming or stealth to action etc) as some points are great (action, fighting) and others feel somewhat boring and uninspired (stealth, platforming). But where this game really falls apart is just how tedious it is and its not even an overly difficult game, but just one that feels cheap (sorry but if a titan hits Batmans cape I should not lose 20% of my health, which coincidentally, would be the same amount if that same titan plowed you through a wall. Go Figure).

What is amazing about this game are the graphics, sound and action elements. I love the fact that they went out and nabbed Kevin Conroy & Mark Hamill to reprise their Batman: TAS roles as Batman & Joker respectively and I am happy that they will be returning for the sequel as well. Aside from the VA the other sound effects are also done very well.

I do believe that this is the best looking Batman game (obviously) but would actually say it is a game to compare to other graphic heavy games. The one nitpick I would have in this department is that at times you are forced to stay in detective mode which doesn't allow you to fully enjoy the environmental graphics.

The action sequences are also another excellent aspect of the game as it really gives you a feel for Batmans style of fighting and not just some random beat em up. All throughout the game you power up Batman with gadgets and special moves and such so the progression of your character is also done very well in that you never quite feel that you are overpowered at any moment in time.

Definitely worth a rental or if you can find it cheap give it a go, just be prepared for some 'cheap' moments and ones that are just utterly tedious and frustrating. I do find that at times those moments can just lead you to shut off the game and throw it back on the shelf, however, I also find that when you are able to play the game and progress through the story at a decent pace this game is really fun, especially trying to figure out the Riddlers Riddles!

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 03/29/11

Game Release: Batman: Arkham Asylum (US, 08/25/09)