Review by GOLD_sonic

"Beware of Sully's mustache! :O"

Naughty dog is known for taking ideas from other games and then putting them into theirs. It's not exactly original, but they were the ones responsible for creating the character Crash. They even made Jak and Daxter. That alone gives them credit, so when I heard that they were making a new game called Uncharted, I was very interested. Granted, I didn't own a PS3, and I just got one 2 weeks ago, but Uncharted 2 was the big reason why, and I'm happy to say that Uncharted 2 lives up to all the hype and is one of the best games to have been released this generation so far!

*Story*

The original Uncharted had a lot of B-movie content for the story, but it was actually perfect because of that. You felt like you were watching a more modern Indiana Jones movie! The characters didn't have much depth, but they were certainly lovable, with great dialog and attitude.

Thankfully, Uncharted 2 is just the same. The characters are still corny, but charming and the plot is always changing with great twists and turns. It has action, a love triangle, and a dirty old man. It's certainly one of the most enjoyable stories I've seen in a videogame.

*Graphics*

Well... do I need to say anything? I mean... have you even seen the game? It's amazing! The amount of detail is untouchable, as it's clearly the best looking game on a console to date! Every character moves fluidly. The main character, Natthen Drake has some many beautiful animations, and so many reactions to the environments around him.

Speaking of the environments... they are also fantastic!realistic psychics, and attention to detail can go a long ways! The game has many settings, from jungles, to icy caves, to a run down Napal. All of it is a sight to behold, and the game very rarely has any frame rate issues to speak of. If this is a sign of whats to come in gaming, then it sure is a good sign.

*Sound*

First I'll mention the best part about the sound... the voice acting. I have never heard such great acting in a videogame all my life! It's unbelievable. Every single character has a lot of lines to say, and none of them feel poorly done. The conversations between the characters are also very stunning. They sound like really conversations, and not just lines from a script! The way Nate and Chloe talk is a mix between confusing, love, and stress, and the conversations with Nate and his old timer pal, Sully are superb! "You brought a hooker to church?" "Why not?"

The soundtrack is also very well done, as it almost always sets the mood perfectly. The only problem is how the game reuses the main theme a tad too much. It starts to get a tad annoying. The sound effects are also very realistic. When I reloaded my gun it actually sound like it should, and not like a mouse click, like in most games.

*Gameplay*

Hopefully you play games for the gameplay and not for the pretty visuals or the story. Anywho, Uncharted 2's gameplay is just like the first, but with a few tweaks to the formula. The game is still about linear Prince of Persia styled platforming, and cover-based shooting taken straight out of Gears of War 2. Surprisingly, though, Naughty Dog has made almost all of it work!

The platforming is basic, but there are a lot of creative moments where your life is on the line and you have to move quickly. These moments are a ton of fun, and are very exciting to play or even watch. The gunplay is great since you have a lot of fun weapons to use, and sometimes even platforming is mixed in with the shooting! There are also some puzzles, but they are very simply and tame.

*Replay value*

Uncharted 2 actually has a great deal of replay value, which is something that the first certainly did not have. After you complete the story, you can go back and try to find the cleverly hidden treasures, or get medals by doing certain tasks in the story mode. You can even buy a ton of extras, like behind the scenes movies, character costumes, special weapons, and even things that spice up the gameplay like an option for the game to run extra fast, throughout.

There is also multiplayer that features deathmatches, and mission games like Plunder which is like capture the flag. The modes are tons of fun, especially with the stealth kills you can use on your foes. The platforming is even present, and makes the whole experience enjoyable.

*Overall*

Story- 10
Graphics- 10
Sound- 9
Gameplay- 9
Replay- 9

Overall- 9 out of 10.

I highly recommend Uncharted 2 for anyone who owns a PS3. It's fun, rewarding, and has a ton to offer!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 10/19/09

Game Release: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (US, 10/13/09)