Review by SinisterONE

"Uncharted 2: Charting New Territory and Gaming Heights"

Story 10/10

The story is one of the best stories I have ever played on the ps3. In this sequel to the award winning original Uncharted: Drakes Fortune, we follow Nathan Drake on yet another journey that seems to throw Nate in more danger, and more locations then the first. At the start of the game you are watching Nate waking up on a train bleeding from his sides. Quickly Nate realises that the train is not level, in fact its hanging off of a cliff. After getting to solid land, Nate passes out and has a flashback to before this all happened, about 3 months earlier, he is at a bar on a beach, where he is approached by a newcomer to the series, a man by the name of Harry Flynn but Nate calls him Flynn. Flynn then tells Nate about a job that a man known as Lazaravic has asked Flynn to do, you leave the bar and sit down on a table on the beach, where another newcomer to the series approaches, Chloe Frazer, who seems to be Flynns girlfriend, but her and Drake have a past (You will get more into that as the game progresses). The adventure starts out with Nate, Flynn, and Chloe robbing a mongolian lamp from a museum in Istanbul, the mongolian lamp was said to have the location of the "Last" resting place of Marco Polo's lost fleet. Well that being said you sucessfully get the lamp, but also end up in jail, where you are then greated by an old timer with a kick-ass sense of humor Victor "God-Damned" Sullivan, the journey to Marco Polo's lost fleets resting place begins, but when you find it, was it really what you were looking for?

I gave the story a 10/10 because it was capturing, full of plot twists, love affairs, and of course, a long journey to search for one of lifes "lost" treasures.

Gameplay 9/10

Uncharted 2 is a great action/platforming/adventure/tps game. With prince of persia like climbing, gears of war like combat (especially the cover system, which I find great) and a great deal of summer movie block-buster action, things in this game will make you want to watch die-hard or indiana jones, because the action and feel, will remind you of indiana jones, or die-hard. One part of the game you will be fighting on a moving train, with things flying past you on the sides, or you might be running away from a helicopter because its about to destroy the building your in, other times you will have to jump to save your life because a rickety old bridge is breaking, with you still on it. That being said, the gameplay of this game is great, but there are some minor flaws, that will hopefully be fixed in a patch update. The most common flaw that I have noticed is the climbing system, this game thrives on the climbing portion of the game, thats what makes Uncharted, well Uncharted, but you will be finding yourself jumping to your death from a 5 foot fall but living from a 40 foot drop, and other times you will find yourself jumping to your death because Nate misses the ledge you were aiming for, or you will press O to let go of the ledge to fall onto the ledge below you, but the game will think you want to completely fall, and you will die. Aside from those few bugs, the only other thing I have noticed is that when you throw a grenade sometimes it will show that it will go where you want to throw it, but it will end up hitting the wall in front of you, and you end up killing yourself.

I gave gameplay a 9 out of 10 because of a few minor ledge hopping and grenade throwing problems, other then that, as solid as a brick wall, it doesn't get boring.

Graphics 10/10

These are the some of the best graphics I have seen in a while, and you can tell that Naughty Dog has really put effort into this game. Every detail is well worked on, from the snow on the ground, to the water that makes your jeans all squidgy, to the giant mountainous views, even down to the smallest details on Nates shirt. All in all its not even a game, its a work of art, on your first playthrough you will be looking at the scenery more then trying to beat the game

If you have seen screenshots or the trailers, then I dont need to explain why I gave graphics a 10/10, and if you havent, I strongly advise that you do ;-).

Sound 9.5/10

The voice actors in this game are really dedicated to their jobs, right away you can tell that the voice actors gave their own personality into this game. The second the game starts you will notice that Nate has a sense of humor, and is constantly in danger, Flynn has a big ego, and is always cocky, Chloe is a big flirt and also has a great sense of humor, and so forth. You will stop thinking of them as virtual characters, but as real people. You will laugh, you will cry, you will not deny Lazaravic lol. Anyway that said, voice work is awesome, but the musical score is not the best, you have music constantly playing in the background, whatevers happening the music adapts to it and changes, but the music is forgettable.

I gave sound a 9.5/10 because the voice actors were amazing, and you were really hooked on the characters personality, you actually felt like Nate, but the music score was extremely forgettable.

Controls 10/10

The game is very easy to control, almost to the point where you can pick up and play. Grenades are much better this time around, those of you who played the first game know what I mean, and those of you who haven't you would hate the grenade controls in the first game.

I gave controls a 10/10 because they are simple, nothing complicated, one button does one thing, and another does another thing, nothing that will make you want to go "AHHHH" like the controls in Warhawk (I am sorry but using the six-axis to fly is really annoying).

Extras 10/10

There are many things to unlock, lots of collectables to find (some people like collectables, others dont, but at least this game tells you which chapters you are missing them in, unlock other games). Lots of replayability because of things you can unlock, such as doughnut drake, and ghengis khan, to play with through story mode, or you can unlock different render modes, or infinite ammo, or slow motion mode, fast motion mode, mirror mode, and many more. Aside from having a lot of single player unlockables, any money you make offline will carry to the online portion of the game, and you can use it to buy mp skins, co-op gun upgrades, perks, and so on. After beating Sp, multiplayer opens up a lot of doors for replayability, I personally think the story has a lot of replayability, but others dont agree, so once you beat it, hop online, and beat people up, its great.

I gave extras a 10/10 because of replay value, unlockables, online play, plus it has many behind the scenes videos, concept art, and other things to unlock, its great.

In conclusion I gave this game a 9 out of 10 because it is a great experience, it has massive ammounts of replay value, unlockables, collectables, and great moments. It will leave you wanting more, Uncharted 3 needs to come out now, lol.

I failed to mention a few things, I will mention them now:

The story is pretty long for a game in this genre, about 12-16 hours (depending on going for treasures)
The game also takes you on a much larger adventure then the first game. This game takes you from Borneo, Istanbul, Nepal, the Himilayas, and more.

Its a great experience, and you dont really need to play the first game to play this game, but I highly reccomend it.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 10/21/09

Game Release: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (US, 10/13/09)