Review by superts

"Game of the Year 2009"

Story

In the Sony PS3 exclusive Uncharted 2: Among thieves players again take the role of Nathan Drake, a treasure hunter and adventurer. The story begins with Nathan Drake trying to pick up on Marco Polo‘s lost fleet to find gold and ends up searching for the cintamani stone and the mystical kingdom of shambala. Drake finds out that he and his friends are not the only ones searching for shambala, a whole army of ruthless mercenaries lead by Zoran lazarevic are frantically searching for the stone to gain immense power.

Graphics

The Graphics in this game are amazing to look at and visually stunning. To do this game justice you should play it on a HD TV on 1080p for the best quality. Each level has colourful detail that in my opinion easily makes this game the best looking PS3 game so far. As you make your way through the levels you will noticed many different minor details that make this game's world more believable. For example if Drake jumps in a pool of water or rolls in a puddle of water his clothes will naturally get wet and change colour slightly which looks incredibly realistic and polished. Also If Drake rolls in snow his clothes will have snow on them but you get the idea. As I was playing the game I had to stop for a few seconds to take a look around the levels so I could take in the amazing eye candy. Every character's facial animation is really well detailed, lip syncing is flawless and the character's physical movements as you move them appear almost realistic because of motion capture which makes the game feel well polished and almost real. The enemy mercenaries and other enemies in the game in addition also looked great.

Sound/ Music

I personally enjoyed listening to the Music of Uncharted, it's memorable, emotional and powerful which makes the game sound more epic and exciting. I thought the voice acting in the game was well performed by each actor which now sets the bar for future video games. Nolan North's performance of Nathan Drake was believable and I thought he brought a realistic and humours personality which made him a charming, likeable character. The other characters involved in the story such as Elaine fisher and Victor GODDAMN Sullivan are also well voice acted as well as new characters Chloe Frazer, Harry Flynn and the evil Zoran lazarevic.

Gameplay

The Gameplay in Uncharted 2: Among thieves is really fun and easy to just pick up and play. Drake can use a variety of guns to take out enemies or use his fists. There's a lot of climbing in this game and its' fairly easy to do and I didn't find it frustrating at all. Drake can take out enemies in different ways; he can use his guns, sneak up behind enemies and silently take them out or throw explosive canisters and detonate them by shooting them while their in the air. The guns vary from pistols, sub machine guns, sniper rifles, grenade launchers and assault rifles. You can also use turret guns to take out a group of enemies and throw grenades. When you're playing the game and you're not sure where to go, by pressing one of the shoulders buttons you will get a hint that visually shows you were to go and points you in the correct direction, for example it could be an area where drake needs to climb to carry on the story, these hints are a good thing because it will avoid frustration and keep the game going at a decent pace and get you straight back into the action. The action in this game is very exciting and successfully blends cinematics and Gameplay. The cinematic events are really well done and make you feel as if you're controlling an action movie at some points and keeps you successfully entertained. Later on in the game when Drake has to climb along a train, the cut scenes and game play and the cinematic blend in that level are both enjoyable and breathe taking. There are many other great cut scenes in the game that are simply awesome, exhilarating and electrifying but I wouldn't want to spoil anything, however you won't be disappointed.

Overall

Overall Uncharted 2: Among thieves is an amazing cinematic game that is exciting and entertaining throughout and easily the best looking game on PS3. The graphics are superior to any other game out there today and the multiplayer is entertaining and addictive. Easy to get into Gameplay, exciting story, fun action and exquisite action cinematic moments make this game stand out as the best game of 2009 and I would seriously recommend you to buy this game and then make a permanent room in your game collection.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/19/10

Game Release: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (EU, 10/16/09)