Review by zack125

""The Templars aren't our biggest threat. Not by a long shot.""

The first Assassin's Creed was criticized for being repetitive. Ubisoft is responsive to the complaints and brings Assassin's Creed II to a whole new direction. I'll explain how.

GAMEPLAY
In the first Assassin's Creed, you were limited to your sword along with the hidden blades. In this game, things are different. Not only you can get a sword (you can get different kinds), you can get different mace and hammers. There are also some additions such as smoke bombs, bombs and a pistol. You can also buy armor.

As for sidequests, you can deliver letters, beat up people, set new race records, assassin's tombs (as a prize for doing this, you will be able to get Altaïr armor), hidden glyph puzzles and 100 feathers to collect.

STORY
The story takes place in Renaissance Italy. You will be controlling Ezio Auditore. You'll be in contact with historical characters such as Leonardo Da Vinci. You'll also visit some famous cities such as Florence and Rome. To add, you can also get some back-story in the Options section where you'll be able to see a section with Ezio's father, when he was an assassin.

When the game starts, you'll be Desmond trying to escape the Templars with the help of Lucy. She sends you to a new location where you meet two new people; Rebecca and Shaun. They are trying to fight back against the Templars. Lucy convinced you to join them in their struggle. You'll be going through Ezio's mind so Desmond can go through the bleeding effect to learn how to fight.

I also thought that the story progresses nicely. One thing that is different in this game is that you'll be playing through most of the game as Ezio and not Desmond. For those who haven't played the original Assassin's Creed or never finished it, the second game begins where the last one takes off. Talking about endings, the ending in the second game is unpredictable and epic. Not once in my gaming life have I been so excited about a sequel.

One of my complaints is that you can't replay chapters like in the first game.

GRAPHICS
The graphics are really beautiful in the game. One thing new is the day and night shift. The developers put real structures in this game with a lot of accuracy.

REPLAY VALUE
Once you've beaten the game, it's begging for multiple playthroughs. The story alone is enough to play it again a second time. Assassin's Creed II isn't like the first Assassin's Creed in terms of repetition. The story is more fluid, you'll spend nearly 20 hours on the game on your first playthrough.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/16/10

Game Release: Assassin's Creed II (US, 11/17/09)