Review by Godstriker8

"Insomniac's excellent series just got better."

Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack In Time is the latest entry in the excellent Ratchet and Clank series. What started in Tools of Destruction and Quest for Booty is concluded in A Crack in Time, which I feel is the best of this next-gen trilogy. Everything feels nice and polished, and greatly improves on the Ratchet and Clank formula. In a season bogged down with AAA titles, this game is among the best this year.

Story: I felt that the Future series always was kinda lacking in the humor department. Thankfully A Crack In Time has lots of humor, be it from Quark's crayon drawings, Mr. Zurkon's funny one-liners, or the little tidbits you read during the loading screen. That doesn't neccessarily mean that it doesn't have a good serious side to the story, which was really interesting although I won't say more as to not spoil the story. Overall: 9/10

Gameplay: In past games there were always Clank segments, but they are alot funner in this game with his new time manipulation powers. Ratchet is still the star of the game with his third person shooting/RPG mechanics. Blasting enemies away while jumping and dodging is still as satisfying as ever. There still aren't as many weapons as in Up your Arsenal, but what's there is really good except for a few duds. Ratchet also gains Hoverboots which are really fun and allows for faster travel, and fancy jumps. And for the first time in the series you actually manually drive your ship to planets in space. Space has been completely reworked, and you can explore the sectors, helping random strangers, exploring moons for treasures, or blasting enemy ships to the ground. Overall: 10/10

Sound: Voice acting is pretty solid with Ratchet sounding the same(Which is a good thing) and Dr. Nefarious along with Lawerence are spot on. Music sounds nice although not quite memorable. Although to be fair you probably can't hear it because of the constant explosions going around. Note that you can change radio stations during space segments. Overall: 8/10

Graphics : Insomniac went for a more cel-shaded look in this game, and I think it was the right choice. The game doesn't have gritty M rated characters, so the style really fits. Characters are well animated, and the explosions look really good. Especially with the RYNO V! Overall: 9/10

Replayiblity: This game will last you for at least a week. The main adventure isn't too long, but you have Zoni, Weapon Mods, RYNO V schematics, and Gold Bolts to collect. Along with the arena, Space missions (I.e. Visiting Moons and doing favours) The arena, Challange mode after the main quest is beaten, optional boss fight, and the Insomniac museum. Skill Points make a return along with Trophies. This game is huge. Overall: 10/10

Closing Comments: I have a feeling that this game is going to get overshadowed this holiday season, but this gem is not to be overlooked. If you were disapointed with the first PS3 game, you will not be disapointed with this game. Overall 9/10

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/02/09

Game Release: Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time (US, 10/27/09)