Review by LostSoulCalibur

"SEGA Shows They Still Have "it""

Introduction

I'll admit it, SEGA has had a mediocre run since entering the software business. For a long time, many of SEGA's fan, who followed them from the Master System up through the Dreamcast, seemed to feel that SEGA had lost "it", the ability to just make a great game. They had a few small hits, but nothing like they had years past.

Flash forward to 2010, I just picked up my PS3, and was deciding on a first game to buy. I saw that GameStop had this title on sale for $29.99 and I decided to give it a try. Upon first starting the game, we are shown a spectacular cutscene. The menu and visuals looked pretty good, but how did the game actually play?

Gameplay - 10/10

Racing games are a genre I'm especially hard on, as their one of my favorites, I look for really tight, and simple controls. The characters have individual stats, and each character drives either a car, bike, Off road vehicle, or Hover car. Each type of vehicle controls differently, and each character has a unique feeling to them.

The levels are designed very nicely, there are a lot of Sonic themed levels, but there are 3 or 4 levels for each MAJOR series (Jet Grind Radio, Monkey Ball, Billy Hatcher). It was a bit sad not to see a Shenmue, or Space Channel 5 level. The levels do not feel bland or stale, each series levels actually capture the series essence, and have a unique feel to them.

The items aren't overpowered, like other kart racers, if you get hit by a missile, you get slowed down a bit, but will able to make a recovery, without ending up in last place. The AI has different settings, and can be a real pain at times, seemingly always getting rockets, or shields.

Graphics + Sound - 10/10

The graphics in this game, are some of the best I've seen for a PS3 game, it runs very smoothly, with a consistent frame rate, and looks gorgeous in 720p, the models of both characters and vehicles are nicely made and polished. The stages are made nicely as well, they always look great and have depth and texture to them.

The sound is great as well, a hilariously comical announcer, 40 songs, from SEGA's most famous franchises, great sound effects. The only problem, is the character voices, which are recycled from old games, but it's not a huge issue.

Re-playability - 9/10

The only area this game falls short in is re-playability. There is a lot to do in the game, it boasts 50 trophies, and 64 missions, characters, stages, and tracks to unlock, however, the mission tend to be a bit tedious, and grow old fast, some of the trophies are pretty ridiculous, there is still a small online community for those who need the few online trophies.

Final Thoughts

This game should show fans that SEGA still has it, and have put together an excellent Kart Racer. And now that the game has dropped down to $29.99, its definitely worth picking up for any SEGA or Kart Racing fan.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/22/10

Game Release: Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing (US, 02/23/10)