Review by irrewonderful

"Best Sonic racer yet"

On February 23, 2010, another Sonic racing game was released, called Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing. It was a crossover with other Sega characters, like Samba de Amigo and Aiai from Super Monkey Ball. The game was a follow-up to the Sega Superstars series, having all these characters together. In this review, I will tell you whether I think this game was better than other Sonic racers.

This game features many Sonic characters, including Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, Big, Dr. Eggman, and the downloadable Metal Sonic. Each racer has their own characteristics tht make them unique, like having a better or worse top speed, turning, acceleration, etc. I like how every character is distinct, because one can choose from which characteristics that they are best with handling. If you think you can stay ahead of everyone if you got ahead, then you'll want to pick a character that has good acceleration. Also, there are many characters from other franchises, who also have their own skills.

The characters will be able to get items, then use them against their foes, something that has never been done in any racing game before. Oh wait, yes it has, it's in every single Mario Kart game! While it is copying from that series, it is still a style of gameplay that works well. I have fun using each item, and one item will allow your character to perform an All-Star move, like Super Sonic, Super Shadow, or Big's fishing pole. You will usually only get these items in a very low place, like 8th place, though, so you likely will not be getting these items if you are good at the game. There is also a shop that you can go to to buy certain racers, tracks, and songs from, which you pay for with the number of miles that you have driven.

The tracks are from the many Sega games that the characters are from. Sonic tracks include Seaside Hill, Casino Park, and Final Fortress, all of which are from Sonic Heroes. There is also a downloadable Death Egg Hangar track, which is very cool. The tracks for every game look amazing, and quite realistic, while still maintaining the fun feeling you get from Sonic games. The graphics are very good, and I love how every track looks. The music is good, but every Sonic song is just a song taken directly from another game (not sure about the other series' songs). This is fine, because I love hearing songs that were good from previous games, but I would have liked to hear a remix or two.
As a whole, I love this game, and it is very fun to play. I enjoy racing around each track and unlocking everything is very muc worth it. It is definitely the best Sonic racer so far, which I rate a 9/10.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 08/07/13

Game Release: Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing (US, 02/23/10)