Review by SirThinkALot

"A generic beat-em-up game, but a good deal for PS3 owners."

Watchmen The End is Nigh: The Complete Experience bundles together Watchmen: The End Is Nigh Parts 1&2(both of which are available for download on PSN) and the Blu-ray Director's cut of the Watchmen movie. I'm not going to discuss the movie(except to say that it is pure awesome, and everybody should see it), but focus on the games(since this is, after all GAMEfaqs). So that said on to the review:

Sound:
The actors who played in the Watchmen film lend their voices to their respective roles in this game. Which is particularly nice for Rorschach, since Jackie Earl Haley nailed exactly how he should have speak, with that low, growing, almost Clint Eastwood-esque voice.

Other than that, there's not much worthwhile/memorable here. The various gangsters you fight will throw out one-liners as you battle, which is cool at first, but quickly becomes annoying(since they only have about 5 lines and repeat them over and over. And the music is completely forgettable. Actually I'm not even certain there was music, I assume there was, but I don't remember it at all.

Graphics:
The one thing I really liked about this was the cut scenes between levels. Rather than an FMV, they went with the 'moving comics' style similar to Metal Gear Solid: Portable-ops. The effect isn't particularly flashy or 'hip'(which is probably why more games aren't using it) but it gives the game a unique, and for the Watchmen universe very appropriate feel that I absolutely loved.

The rest of the graphics are, meh, nothing we haven't seen done on the PS3 before. Not bad, but not that great either.

Story:
The two games are two previously untold stories from when Rorschach and the second Night Owl were partners. Part one takes place in 1972, and follows the duo as they track down an old villain who escaped from prison. It also reveals the why behind one of the biggest differences between our world and the Watchmen world. Part two takes place during the 1977 police strike and ensuing riots. And follows Night Owl and Rorschach as they try to rescue a kidnapped girl.

The stories really aren't that deep or intelligent, they're more like glimpses into the past of the Watchmen and the dynamics of Night Owl and Rorschach's partnership. Fans of the comic and movie will appreciate this, and especially the ending to part one. Non-fans probably won't appreciate this as much, and as such probably won't like the story that much.

Game play:
Watchmen: The End is Nigh is effectively a generic beat-em-up game. You have combos, special attacks and the rage/suit power that enables those attacks....pretty much everything done in this game has been done, . Fans of beat-em-ups like Streets of Rage or Final Fight will probably find some enjoyment, but if you don't like that kind of game, there's really no point, as there's nothing new or unique here.

The game is also very, very short. 6 Chapters in part one and 3 chapters in part 2 will amount to about 10 hours of game play. You can gain some replay value by beating it with the other character, but the only real difference between the two characters is their special moves. And how they build power/rage(Night Owls power builds constantly, Rorschach has to fight to build his). there is a co-op mode, but it's strictly split-screen, no internet play.

Overall:
Both parts of Watchmen The End is Nigh are generic-beat-em-up games. They aren't bad games, really, but there's nothing worthwhile or memorable about them. Judging solely on the games I would have given them a 5/10 or 6/10. But since this bundle comes with the Watchmen movie, I've decided to bump it up to 7/10.

Now that said, the fact that Watchmen: TEN, The Complete Experience, comes with the movie is enough reason to buy it. Consider: The Blu-ray of Watchmen Director's Cut costs about $35. The Complete Experience costs about $40. Since you should definitely buy the movie anyway(seriously its awesome, I can't overstate how amazing it is), I see no reason why not to also pay the extra $5 for two mediocre games.

Of course you can also download both parts of The End is Nigh off of PSN for $35(total) but I can't see any reason why anybody would want to do that.

Final Score:
6/10-for the games themselves
7/10-for the complete experience, including the movie.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 09/04/09

Game Release: Watchmen: The End Is Nigh Complete Experience (US, 07/21/09)