Review by YoYoLeFtToRiTe

"Flawless victory."

I grew up playing Mortal Kombat. I remember playing the very first game in the arcades years and years ago. When it finally debuted on consoles, it brought to us some of the most gory, yet awesome fighting experiences we have ever seen. They looked pretty, and played even better. For those of you who don't really understand Mortal Kombat's story, I will break it down for you without spoiling too much. Basically, Raiden (God of thunder and protector of Earth) has chosen the best fighters that Earth has to offer to defend against a threatening sorcerer named Shang Sung who will stop at nothing to take over the entire world and bring hell's gates to rise. Welcome to Mortal Kombat.

Presentation: The story is well thought out and really brings each character to life. Menu screens look great, cinematics are awesome.

Graphics: Very detailed characters and environments. The environments have so much going on in the background it's incredible. To see everything, you literally have to stop fighting just so you can focus on what is going on outside of your match. The animations are fluid as well.

Sound: Usually, the developers come up with an astonishing soundtrack to fit the mood of the game. While the music suits the game, it could be better. The voice acting however, is top notch as well as the sound effects.

Gameplay: Gory, fluid, fun all around. The online may suffer a little bit due to slow downs, but I'm sure a patch will be sent out to fix these problems. Offline, it's very fun to go up against a friend or just to battle the many, many modes of the game that could have been standalone games on their own merits.

Replay value: Tons of content to unlock, tons of modes to take on. Fans of the series will be right at home here and will not be putting this game down any time soon.

Conclusion: This game is now my favorite fighting game on current gen consoles. The game is intense, incredibly disturbing in terms of gore and violence, but it's worth it. Mortal Kombat has evolved into something great. Not only did it revive and evolve the original series, but it took the throne to one of the best fighting games I have ever played. I'm serious. Parents, I cannot stress it enough; this game is intense and should be considered for adults only. But hell, I recommend the game to everyone anyway just because of the fun factor that is seen here. I would like to thank the developers for bringing us the best Mortal Kombat that anyone has ever seen. I sure hope that is the beginning of many more good things to come. My original score was a 9.5/10, but this game deserves the round off to a 10/10. Excellent!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 04/21/11, Updated 04/22/11

Game Release: Mortal Kombat (US, 04/19/11)