Review by LeatherFace1987

"M.K9."

I still was a bit skeptical whether or not they were going back their roots for this game... It turns out, I was thoroughly impressed. The story is a bit cheesy, but I didn't exactly get this game for the story. I got it because I've been a Mortal Kombat fan literally my whole life. I know some people are going to review this and not think much, but I'm not one of those people. This game entertained me and three other friends simultaneously playing on one console, and the beauty of it is if the person on your team isn't particularly good... chances are, your time is as good as done for. Online has a bit of hiccups, but that's another story. Oh, and the fatalities. Wow, was I impressed. I'd rather not overindulge in describing each and every one, but a few of them sucked. They put one in as an apology for MK vs DC it seems. Great stuff! They were mostly what I expected from such a top-shelf title. The brainstorming for these must of been exciting.

Playing Arcade ladder with one of your friends (local only, I believe) is also awesome. I learned a particular 30% damage combo between Cyrax and Sektor... it's nice when you have a buddy that can keep pace with tags, because that will help in the long run. I expected Goro, and Shang Tsung to be tougher, but that's not a major gripe. Shao Kahn tends to move spam, but once you learn his patterns it becomes quite easy to deal with. There's not one real complaint I have about this game, since the A.I. have been doing it's own 'little thing' for years. Reptile's classic skin made pre-ordering from Amazon a natural choice for me. The tasty snack fatality re-done for a new generation isn't bad either. Some people keep saying how they expected more, but there's going to DLC coming, so I'll hold thought for a while.

Game play: Whether you're lighting your foes on fire as scorpion, juggling them with your mighty combos, or firing missiles with Sektor... You'll have a blast (no pun intended) while fighting for your life, until the announcer makes his deafening yell of "FINISH HIM(/HER)" Each character has 2 Fatalities, and a Babality. (& Stage Fatality for the necessary stages) For the most part, I like all of them. They stepped it up for most of them, but Jax's was quite lacking in the order of it. Not to take anything away from fatalities, but real beauty comes from the X-ray attacks. I find myself doing special moves, combos, and use waiting for the time that my bar fills and below it the text 'X-ray' shows up. The lower my opponents health... the higher my incentive to use it.

Graphics: The graphics look pretty damn good, and I find not much to complain about. Battle Damage from MK vs DC makes a return, and that might of been one of the better things to come out of that game. One beaten down you'll see scorpions skull through the mask, in all of it's glory. The team that worked on the stages must of went all out, because they do, without a doubt have a really high level of detail. They even have quite stuff going on in the background, like in the Pit it shows Frost fighting Kenshi. There's plenty more too, but the scenery is just about as important as what's going on in it.

Storyline: Wow, this is pretty long. Sometimes I felt the story just dragged on a bit, but the end result was worth the wait. There was a bit of time travel, and Raiden sending messages, and seeing these crazy things. If you like Storyline death and what have you, prepare to get happy. I won't reveal what happened to who or what. Believe it or not, you get to see a bit of back story on certain characters. It's pretty cool to figure out how one particular character (that I have in mind) became who he is today in the fight. You'll have to play through this for yourself to find out the rest, since anymore of this will delve into spoilers.

Multiplayer: I'd recommend playing King of the Hill (online), even though you somewhat have to stand in line and play the waiting game. Depending on where you are there might be a bit of lag, and that will cause horribly input delay. It might even throw off your whole game plan, but just learn to do your combos and things with a bit of delay. Rating a player's skill also comes in to play after the match. (King of the Hill) No, you shouldn't just rank someone 0 because you don't like them. I think it's better to gauge it on actual skill, and not just being rude to someone better than you. Moving on, you can also play some tag matches. From what I've seen, you can't go 4 player online on all different consoles,(<= one of my few gripes here) but you can play you vs a friend with your respective two best characters.

Overall: Mortal Kombat is back, everyone rejoice. The same formula that made this game popular is back and better than ever, albeit the graphics and everything have vastly improved since MKI. I welcome the addition of X-ray moves, and all of the bone breaking that comes along with it. I just wish you could play as Shao Kahn, who happens to be one of my favorite characters, but a future download should solve that. There's nothing I could honestly say bad about this game, really. I find it to be my favorite Mortal Kombat to date, and it's what fans of the series have been patiently waiting for. Do I think Kratos belongs in this game? No, but everyone deserves a chance. Here's to Mortal Kombat, cheers.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 05/02/11

Game Release: Mortal Kombat (US, 04/19/11)