Review by RevJesseJackson

"A Definite Download"

Scott Pilgrim Vs the World is a brand new downloadable psn game available for $9.99. For those who don't know, the game is based comic book series by the title of “Scott Pilgrim”. The game plays very similarly to old school 2-D brawlers from the NES and SNES days, with the general goal being to get from one end of the world to the other.

Graphics/Art Direction:
Starting with the “fluff” of the game, I must say that the graphics in this game are quite enjoyable. Keep in mind that this is game looks and plays like a retro game, so while you won't see anything mind-blowing, you will see an extremely enjoyable graphic presentation. All of the playable characters look very nice, each having his/her own style and personality shown through the animations, with different animations for each character's version of any said move. Every level is alive, and every enemy's art and animations are also done well. The “evil ex-boyfriends” are also all done extremely well, probably my favorite art designs in the entire game, each having his/her own look, and each having well animated abilities.

Sounds: I'm a sucker for retro gaming music. Unlike other games that have been trying to imitate generations past and have had annoying sound tracks, the music tracks in this game are very well done. I can honestly say that I love this music in this game, and it is VERY addictive. They obviously put effort into the music, each level having a great soundtrack that fits perfectly. The fight sounds, while not as great as the soundtracks, definitely serve their purpose and sound great.

Gameplay: I may as well get the negatives out of the way first. For starters, the game plays best and is most fun with a friend, sibling, girlfriend, boyfriend, or hobo playing with you. Unfortunately, the more players on the screen, the more cluttered the screen can get. It can get cluttered to the point that you are just punching the air without hitting anything, or to the point where you accidentally pick up your teammate and throw him/her halfway across the screen. That being said, I play the game with four players on the screen quite often, and due to screen clutter I must say that it plays best with only 2 characters playing at any given time. There is also no way for your partners to drop out of the game. This could be for any number of reasons, but I feel this was something that should have been included, especially since it was an option in games from 20 years ago. The exclusion of online multiplayer is also an issue for me. While it's not a big issue, and does not annoy me like the screen clutter does, it would have been a nice touch to add in the game, especially for those people that do not have someone to play this game with regularly.

Now for the positives. For starters, the controls are VERY solid and responsive. They are easy enough for someone who's never played a game in their life to understand, and there are enough unlockable moves and combos to keep even a veteran of fighting games interested. The right side face buttons serve the purpose of a low powered attack, a high powered attack, guard and jump, while R1 and L1 are used for special attacks. Both the D-Pad and the analog stick may be used to move your character, but I prefer to use the D-Pad myself. Eventually you'll be able to execute techs and gaurdbreakers with ease. The objective in each level is basically to survive to the end and defeat the boss at the end of the level. Each level has loads of enemies, destructible items and plenty of items you can use to pick up and fight. While every character plays largely the same, there are differences between all four characters besides the animations used for attacking, making some people to have preferences in them. There is also a level up system and a stats upgrading system, while not the most in depth I've ever seen, it's definitely not shallow and works well with the game. There are also items you can buy from different stores with both obvious and hidden locations, and there are levels with multiple paths. This gameplay is simple, but the game is not easy. The difficulty will make you want to level your characters and get their stats up. On top of that, if you're one of those gamers who loves a challenge, even the easiest of the 3 difficulties offer plenty of challenge for single player gamers. If you can hop on with some friends, I would recommend the higher difficulties.

Also, for those of you wondering, the game does relate to the movie and comics, with several nods to each here and there. The game definitely sticks to its story, but it is not necessary to know anything about the comics to enjoy the game.

I will give this game an 8 out of 10 because it's fun, because it's game that is geared for multiplayer, lacking online multiplayer, but more importantly the game can be frustrating at times when there's so much clutter on the screen while playing multiplayer. That being said, I can whole-heartedly recommend this game to anyone because it is very well priced, extremely fun, offers a challenge and is a definite buy for anyone who likes a challenge and/or retro gaming.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 08/19/10

Game Release: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game (US, 08/10/10)