Review by AnalyticalGamer

"Five steps back"

Gameplay: The gameplay in Resident Evil 5 is lackluster, repetitive, and uninteresting. Shoot a horde of zombies, navigate through the level, solve an occasional puzzle, and do a bunch of instant death quick time events (QTEs) are the primary aspects of the game. The game elements are generally uninspired and lacking in entertainment value. Both the enemy and ally Artificial Intelligence is subpar; enemies won't attack you at certain points, and your party member can run into instant death obstacles. 4/10

Story: The story seems to be interesting at certain points, but it's difficult to understand what's going on at times. The characters are horribly underdeveloped and bland, by far the weakest aspect of the story. Strong character development is necessary for any game to tell a good story, and it's truly unfortunate that this game lacks such a vital component. About one third of the way through, I lost all interest.
3.5/10

Sound: The voices are mostly satisfactory, but some sound choppy and out of place, like when you call your partner towards you. There's not much music available in the game, and the music that exists is quite mediocre and uninspiring. For a survival horror game, I definitely expected music fitting to the atmosphere. What I got was something that didn't affect the experience whatsoever.
5/10

Graphics: The graphics are the best aspect of the game. Although it's not the best looking game I've ever played, there's no denying that the visuals are brilliant.
8.5/10

Controls: The controls are subpar. The Artificial Intelligence will rarely, if ever, listen to you, so you have to FORCE your partner to do anything. Aiming your gun is clunky and unreasonably difficult and walking feels two dimensional. It's apparent that the player does not have full control of their character.
2/10

Replay Value: There are some emblems to shoot, some guns to collect, and some treasures to earn. If that's your thing, go for it. There's no greater reward for doing so other than some trophies. Good luck getting through the game and completing all the optional objectives without losing your sanity.
5/10

Overall: Resident Evil 5 feels like it should be a movie; because in movies, there's no need for gameplay. There's a need for nice visuals and a lot of action, which this game has. Unfortunately, it clearly doesn't live up to the quality of previous Resident Evil titles. I don't recommend this to any gamer who appreciates strong gameplay and/or character development.

Score: 4.5/10

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 06/19/13

Game Release: Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition (US, 03/09/10)