Review by redalert62386

"Looks like a dream but is it worth your time?"

The first thing you will notice about El Shaddai are it's visuals. They're like a dream, literally and figuratively. I would be hard pressed to find a more artistic and beautiful game this gen. If nothing else pushes you to move forward in this game, the visuals will do it. You will want to traverse to more levels just to see what they will look like. Along with the creative and awesome graphics, the game also throws several styles of play at you in no order. One moment you will be playing like a regular 3D action game and the next you'll be playing a side scroller, a la Viewtiful Joe. Some levels will even switch styles on the fly, which helps to keep things fresh when the combat system might start to feel stale. There is even a fast pace driving section, which surprisingly works considering the game's setting.

The combat, while not bad, doesn't really do anything you haven't seen before. The option to use 3 different weapons does help to break things up but it's still not enough. The one thing I do like is that it does actually matter which weapons you use depending on the enemies and situations. So it's not like they're useless, I just wish there was a little bit more depth. But considering you only attack with one button, I think the combat is decent. The platforming is actually more of a problem. There were a lot of bad jumps and it just got frustrating at times. For every frustration, though, the game would switch things up and do something so cool that you could forgive the annoyances. What I can't forgive is how abruptly the game ended. It's bad enough that the game is too short but the way it ends is beyond annoying. I was actually a little bit mad when the credits started to roll. I was thinking "Surely not...*credits start rolling* Oh **** that." I need more than that.

The ending certainly doesn't make this a horrible game but the only way that ending could be redeemed is if there is a *good* sequel. I'm not sure if there is going to be one or, if it ever comes out, I'll care enough. To wrap this review up, I'm glad I played this game because it's honestly a visual experience that I think everybody should check out. But is it a game that I think is worthy enough to stay in my collection? I'm not sure.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 09/09/11

Game Release: El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron (US, 08/16/11)