Review by OZZcln

"Heavenly story and gameplay, but hellish to Platinum"

First of all let me let you all know that I have platinumed this game and am reviewing it on the grounds of a normal playthrough basis such as story, gameplay, graphics, and ect. And a second score for ease of trophies and getting 100% on.

Graphics: Let's go ahead and get the perfect score for graphics, because even if you hate them you can't deny they're original and gorgeous.The landscapes are vivid and diverse.10/10

Gameplay: finally a platforming game that actually has ample platforming. Only issue here is that the camera can make it difficult to determine distance on some jumps.Loved the premise of stealing weapons as well as the purifying.I loved how each weapon had a distinct feeling to it, and had many uses. I feel there could have been more hidden items though. Also feel that the Veil's ability to break certain obstacles could/should have been used more 9/10

Combat: I'll admit if not for Hard and Extra modes I would have scored this very low and almost written off as button masher. So for that I give it a 8/10 because despite that it was still enjoyable
HOWEVER after playing thru those modes I found quite a bit of depth. Everything from planning what weapon I had when( so as to make certain enemies spawn), actually keeping a fresh weapon for the damage boost, and finding what attacks can stun and are most effective when faced with a weapon I was weak to. I give it a 9/10

Story: at times it seems to jump around but overall it is enjoyable. I loved it and would like to see a sequel.I do feel there were things that could have been explored further. Would like to see more of what happened after involving Ishtar. Would have liked more backstory on her and the Freeman as well. 9/10

Music: not much that was memorable but it went with the stages and was a good mix overall. 9/10

Overall I say 9/10

Now as far as 100% goes: whew it is brutal. Getting most of the trophies (like 95%) is easy. It's the Conquerer trophy that requires a G rank on all chapters on hard that is killer. Pretty much requires a perfect play through in addition to knowing where all special objects are. I will say that it is something to be proud of if you can do it. Difficulty rating 9.5/10

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/20/12

Game Release: El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron (US, 08/16/11)