Review by carkeet

"Excellent new offering catering to both die-hard fans and a new generation of gamers"

Let me start by saying that after 11 years of waiting a for a new home console originated Twisted Metal I had extremely high hopes and excitement coming into it. I followed David Jaffe's blog closely as more and more information came out about the game but still didn't quite know what to expect once it was released.

Game Play:
Overall game play is spot-on classic Twisted Metal with modern improvements. You have the speed and excitement of the classic TM games, with a modern frame rates and dynamic camera options. The physics of the vehicles are the most refined of the series. It is still without an doubt an arcade style driving game but you don't get the sense that the physics are so unrealistic that it's absurd. Driving controls play very close to the Need For Speed series which provides for exciting gameplay without having to worry about where your e-brake is.

Story Mode:

My initial impression was mostly confusion because I was expecting an identical story mode system we've had in all the other TM games. This is not the case, however, as there are only three playable story mode characters which you play through in order (each taking 33% of the story plot). Despite the major change, I completely agree with this decision. Eat, Sleep, Play clearly put all available resources into one linear story mode with three characters, rather than a redundant and repetitive story mode which would be played with every character in the game.

Overall the story mode that is in the game is excellent and very fun. This main story mode is substantially longer than any other story mode in a past Twisted Metal, again, the only difference is you don't play it with multiple characters over and over. I recall my high school days playing through Twisted Metal: Black as every character, and while that was a challenge and fun, at time it was very tedious, and not enjoyable. Because you have the choice over several vehicles for each story mode character, this game's story mode resolves that issue as provides a much more flexible and dynamic story mode overall.

Multi-Player:

Multi-player is where the game really shines. Playing local multiplayer with friends is as fun as ever. The eight maps are HUGE and each map has a selection of large sub-maps. The sub-maps are at times even better for multi-player because they are very well thought out, providing interesting layouts to encourage the use of strategy rather than just run and gun. With two local players you can do local muti-player with bots, and you can have up to four players for multiplayer without bots.

Online muti-player shines even more. You can choose from a variety of death match modes, all of which offer different twists to how the winner is determined. The large size of the maps solvers the problems we saw with Twisted Metal Black Online because there's more places to hide and locate yourself for strategic purposes. You will also find that the online system to rank you with other equally skilled opponents works extremely well to assure that a fight is fair. It becomes clear during online play that the developers really made a great effort to assure that all the vehicles are evenly matches so as to not give an unfair advantage to the largest vehicles as you probably saw in the previous games.

Summary:

With refined graphics, excellent physics, and extremely large maps, this game is the Twisted Metal installment many have been waiting for. Multiplayer in this game really bridges the gap between modern online gaming and the classic Twisted Metal world many of us grew up with and love. I can confidently say that is the best Twisted Metal installment in the series. My only complaint, and it is a small one, is that I wish they had included a few more of the classic vehicles in the game (Twister, Spectre), that aside, this is the perfect Twisted Metal game for me.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/27/12

Game Release: Twisted Metal (US, 02/14/12)