Review by PerpetualFrost

"The pinnacle of 2D platforming and one of the best looking games ever"

Rayman has been around for quite a while now, originally starring in three excellent platforming games. The original Rayman will always remain my favourite it the series so I was delighted to hear that a new 2D Rayman platformer would be arriving. After having his spotlight stolen by the Rabbids for so long, it's nice to see Rayman make a return to form. And what a return to form it is. Rayman Origins is the greatest 2D platformer I have ever played.

The story is very tongue-in-cheek. One day, Rayman and his friends were sleeping. However, their snoring was so loud that they annoyed the nearby baddies so much that they decide to capture the electoons and Betilla the Fairy, and cause general nastiness around the glade of dreams. It's not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination, but it fits.

Before discussing the gameplay, I have to cover what is probably the biggest selling point of the entire game. The UbiArt engine. Completely hand drawn 2D graphics is the presentation choice for this game. The graphics look absolutely beautiful, some of the best I have ever seen. Every single character and environment exudes life and the game is so pretty that it can be downright distracting at times. The music is a perfect compliment to the graphics, digireedoos and Spanish guitars populate the soundtrack for this game. The music exudes class and style, and is just as stylish as the graphics. The animation is so beautiful that occasionally I felt like just staying still and staring at the sheer brilliance of it all.

But doing so would just distract from the excellent gameplay. The controls are perfect, allowing you to experience the excellent level design. Each level is so well designed and a joy to play and the game is addictive as all get out. Each level has numerous goals to accomplish that provides a ton of replay value, and there are a LOT of levels. Challenge is perfect, not too hard but not too easy. It's easier than the original Rayman game although some levels can pose a serious challenge. Four player co-op is also included, and it's a blast to play and a huge selling point if you have three friends to play the whole game with. There are a ton of references to the older Rayman games as well, including most worlds ending with a ride on the back of the mosquito from the original Rayman game.

I don't really need to go on any more about how great this game is, just do yourself a favor and buy this game. If you have three friends with you, it's even more worthy of a buy, but its still incredible as a single player game. Simply brilliant.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/09/12

Game Release: Rayman Origins (EU, 11/25/11)