Review by joelang12

"The Ghosts Return Better Than Before"

INTRO:
Ubisoft stepped up their game with the latest Clancy game, Ghost Recon Predator for the PlayStation Portable. If you played and liked GRAW 2 even a little bit then I think you will be pleasantkly suprised with the new installment, Predator.

GAMEPLAY:
Unlike PSPs 2007's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, you command a three-man team this time, heading into Sri Lanka, taking out a group of terrorists, The People's Action Front or Activists for short. Even though I enjoy (ed) the heck out of GRAW 2 PSP, this is for the most part what GRAW 2 PSP should've been. There's a leveling-up system, in-game achievements, and unlockable weapons and customising options for your soldiers camo and guns. The story so far is basic Ghost Recon fare, with your standard military-shooter objectives: rescue civvvies, destroy enemy installations, eliminate the opfors, recover intel, then reach the designated extraction point. There are 12 levels in the game, a step down from GRAW 2 PSP's twenty-two. The levels are fairly huge, with trees and rocks and fallen logs to use as cover in the jungle sections, while barriers and vehicles and barrels will shield you from bullets in the urban levels. Because of the level's sizes the game employs Transition Points where the game will pause and load up the next part of the level--they employed the same feature on GRAW 2s expansive levels as well.. It's not as bad as it may sound and it works well I think. They say that imitation is the best form of flattery, and that just may be the case with GR:P. It resembles past SOCOM FTB games a lot, but actually does some things better. I like the fact that you can choose your squad (a Scout, a Marksman, a CQC Specialist, and an Autorifleman ) and then switch between them in-game--that was a feature I kept hoping for in the third FTB game. While the enemy AI isn't particularly bright, they do try to flank your positions and run for cover. Which will bring me to the games' very few faults: the targeting system. I played on Normal with no lock-on/auto-aim now so this might change on Difficult mode, but the enemies take an impossible amount of hits before they do fall. It reminds me of the NDS version of Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2..

GRAPHICS/ SOUNDS:

The graphics are decent. I‘m not a graphics whore so I don't care much for graphics. As long as I can tell what the object is supposed to be I‘m fine with it, but most comments I've read said they suck. Everyone's entitled to their iown opinion. Anyway, they didn't seem any better or worse than GRAW 2 in my opinion. The gun models are blocky as hell, but that's the only thing that stood out as an eyesore. The gun sound effects/ explosion are all good. I cant say anything bad about the effects department. As far as the sound, the music/ theme song was pretty catchy. The voice acting during the intro scenes was competant. There are a few enemy conversations that you will hear/eavesdrop on during several missions that are pretty funny.

REPLAYABILITY:

I would've loved to have seen a return of Firefight, defend, and/or Recon Modes from GRAW 2. Or even some Dynamic Instant Action missions a la FTB 2, where you play as a trio of Mr Hisan's Mampuri Guard soldiers still mopping up remnants of The Activists. They could've gotten creative with that just by recycling the story missions and tasking you with Assassinating high-ranking terrorist commanders, defending villages, stopping Activists convoys, destroying said convoys, eliminating enemy presence at certain villages, etc. The list could go on. Anyway maybe we'll get something like that out of the next installment.

Final Thoughts: Pros: Almost everything was done right by Ubisoft this time. Some said that the controls were a bit convoluted, but it's no more confusing that what GRAW 2 control scheme was like. I think I'll be replaying this game until the next Ghost Recon game is released on the Vita, although its still a shame we couldn't get a PSP version of Future Soldier along with this one. Would've been sweet.

Cons: Blocky guns (which isn't that bad of a con) Almost no extra game play features other than Multiplayer mode and Quick Missions, which are nothing more than the story levels. All in all Id say this game is right up there with the FTB series...a great shooter worthy of your collection if you like games of this particular genre

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 08/10/11

Game Release: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Predator (US, 11/16/10)