Review by dark trunks

"Superb"

Recently I've had the chance to import this wonderful machine. And so far, I haven't been disappointed. I, though many may have felt this at first, thought this might have been a mistake, but when I opened the box, I knew I'd spent money well.

Features:

The picture - One of the most amazing features, the screen is beautiful and gives you plenty to see while playing the games it has. You can play this in the darkest of rooms and still see what is going on in the game, which I find very nice. The graphics when playing the games are superb, and surprising for a hand held. I'm not sure whether this light it continues to show up with can be turned off, but even if it can, I doubt you'd want to turn it off.

Controls - It has the regular PS2 style controls, which are X, Square, Circle and Triangle, along with Start, Select and the L1 and R1 buttons. People say the L1 and R1 buttons aren't done very well, but I actually found mine to have no problems at all. I have no trouble or problem with them being there. It also has a Joystick, which so far I haven't really used, though I'm sure some people will use it, but I don't feel comfortable while using it. The layout, I've found, is very easy to get around, with no hassle at all. This is one of the things about the PSP I like most, since on some console controls, and on the older Gameboys, I have a tough time nowa days getting my hands around the buttons.

Sound - The sound quality is very nice. Though I haven't taken full advantage of this yet, using MP3s and such, since I haven't been able to pick up a larger Memory Stick. But, in game I've enjoyed the audio and effects. Hopefully soon I will be able to know if it plays MP3s well, which I bet it does.

Battery Power - The battery isn't the longest running battery in the world, as has been said. Though, most the time I keep my PSP on charge in the mains and after playing it away from them, charge it back up right after. Apparently, without full light and lower sound it will run for longer.

Games - So far, no complaints. Though I do only have three. The graphics this hand held can hold is amazing, with such games like Ridge Racers and Minna no Golf looking very nice. Though they have their fare share of jagged edges, you can't expect them to look like a PS2 game and such because it is a hand held. But don't let this put you off from buying one, since as I said, the graphics for a hand held are simply brilliant. The UMD (Universal Media Disc) is a very nice style, and I like the way they are made.

Console Model - Putting all this into one, and console, or hand held, whichever you wish to call it, looks and feels great. Though it attracts a lot of fingerprints and smudges, these can easily be cleaned off with a cloth. So far, I've kept it smudge free, and haven't in the week I've had it, for any scratches. I doubt it's easy to scratch unless you clean it wrong, or clean it with a lot of force. People mention dead pixels a lot, but if mine does have any, I can't notice them, and if it does, and I did notice, they aren't really something to bother with, unless of course, you get a lot of them. Never had a single button stick or click, and had no problems with the UMD (Universal Media Disc) popping out, which as you may know by now, was a rumour, or unless you really force it to do it, which would have to be done with a lot of force.

All in all - I love this hand held. It's a brilliant design, well built, with great features. I know I didn't cover many other features that it has, but I am still discovering what I can do, as I read what people post here and there. Soon I hope to be able to play MP3s and maybe watch movies on it. I hope this review helped you decide whether or not you want a PSP, though I certainly hope it helps you decide you do want one. It's definitely not a waste of money, and is worth every penny. I give this hand held/console 10/10. I have not gotten a single disappointment from it. Also, sorry the information isn't the greatest, this is my first review. Hope it helps!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/23/05