Review by McSalsa2008

"Lots of stuff crammed into 1 "small" disc (or download)."

I have been, ever since the series US Debut, a huge Gran Turismo fan. The 1998 (US version) original was a smash hit, and the sequel was simply "bigger and better". Gran Turismo 3 showed off what the then-new Playstation2 was capable of, and Gran Turismo 4 set new world records with its staggering amount of cars and jaw-dropping visuals. 2008's GT5 Proluge gave us a taste of what is to come in 2010's Gran Turismo 5, and it tasted pretty good to most of us. But there was one GT that almost seemed to not even exist.

At E3 2004, Gran Turismo 4 mobile was announced. This game was supposed to be an early PSP title, but when the PSP came, there was no GT PSP in sight. E3 2005 came along and there wasn't a peep about GT PSP other than "sometime in 2006". That date came and went. Afterwords, we pretty much gave up hope. GT on PSP was an idea too good to be true.

At least, we thought so. At E3 2009, the world was shocked to see GT PSP in playable form. The game was alive! The hype levels rose and a date was finally given- October 1st, 2010. And that day has finally arrived. But was GT PSP worth the wait?

GRAPHICS
Simply amazing. The graphics on GT PSP rival even the gorgeous Gran Turismo 4, and that is no small feat. You may see screenshots of this game that make it look bad, but they don't do the game justice. I cannot give this game any less than a 10/10 in this department.
SCORE: 10/10

SOUND
The sound effects, as usual, are spot-on, but the weird techno music, while fitting, isn't quite what I expected from a GT game. Luckily, you can use custom soundtracks, but you must unlock them by beating a set of challenges. What the heck?!?!
SCORE: 9/10

GAMEPLAY
It's classic Gran Turismo to its finest as far as control and racing is concerned, but if you didn't like the series before, it won't win you over. The real flaw with GT PSP, however, is the lack of a career mode. No prize cars. No upgrades. Minimal tuning. These were some of the major selling points of GTs 1-4, and it is sad to see them gone in this version. You do still buy and collect cars, and that remains fun, but the makes and manufacturers are selected randomly. Why? Don't ask me. Probably to promote sharing and trading cars online. The game is fun to play but these flaws make it repetitive. Also, the "Challenges" (or what would have been liscence tests in a home console GT game) give cash and are optional. They don't unlock anything.
SCORE: 8/10

PLAYABILITY
The game does a good job with its controls, with 2 handling models, and tons of assists if you need them. It's good in short bursts, but can get repetitive and frustrating if you are trying to buy a specific car to race over and over and over. Kudos for giving us more money to build our collections of cars faster (you start with 10 times what you normally do in a GT game and already have 1 car in your garage), though earning some of the more expensive race cars can still be a chore.
SCORE: 8/10

OVERALL (NOT AN AVERAGE)
8/10

Gran Turismo on the PSP may be stripped down and lack a career mode, but for short bursts of GT Action on the go, it does its job very well. This is what the game was meant to be in the first place, as PSP gamers simply cannot usually play 3-4 hours at a time to win tournaments and unlock prize cars. We got what we wished for- a portable Gran Turismo. It's good, but we got what we asked for and it came with some bad stuff thrown in. I dig it, but some will want to try this instead before buying.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 10/07/09

Game Release: Gran Turismo (US, 10/01/09)