Review by wolf_canine123

"Tales+portable= A great game to go!"

Thank you Namco, for bringing the Tales series to a new platform. Even though this is a remake, this is still a fabulous game. I live in Japan, so I didn't have to wait for Japanese games. When I got this game, I thought it was going to be worse than the original Tales of Eternia, but heck, I was wrong.

Story: There are two worlds, Inferia and Celestia, and they had never communicated with each other for over 1000 years. If you are in one world, the other world will look upside down. Then, when Reid and Farah, went into the forest, a mysterious spaceship crashed about 10 feet where Reid and Farah were. Inside, was a girl named Meredy, from Celestia. Celestia sent her to warn Inferia of something called ‘dark matter,' since Celestia had more advanced technology than Inferia. But there was one problem, Meredy speaks an ancient language, Melnics. So naturally, Reid and Farah could not understand. There, they decided to find someone who can understand, then Farah thought of their friend, Keele, who was a genius. There, the story begins.

Graphics: The characters you control and the cities are all 2D, but the world map is in 3D. That is one of the reasons that makes this game great. At some points in this game, you will have animated scenes, which are awesome. When the character speaks, they will have a speech bubble and are sometimes spoken aloud.

Battling: This game isn't turn-based, like most RPGs but is in real time. You will have full control of one character, and they can walk, run, stumble, attack, special attack, and jump. You can level up your slash and thrust, which will allow you to learn special attacks. But beware, the special attacks costs TP (Tech points). If you run out of TP, you will not be able to use special attacks unless it is restored. The mages, ( Keele and Meredy) learn their spells from Craymels, or spirits.

Sound and Music: Perfect. The tunes just fit every occasion, from battling to walking. When your character in battle, does a special attack, first he/she yells out the attack name, then do it. The voices could be better if Namco made the mouths move.

Controls: They are really basic, but you can put the controls to any where you want. You don't use the start button to access the menu, but one of the buttons. To use a special attack, you assign that special attack to a direction, then press the direction and the special attack button. It's really quite simple.

Overall: A great RPG, action packed, I would highly recommend it.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 08/25/05