Review by Cereburus Q

"Attack Move Repeat. (Review for non-FF Devout)"

Disclaimer: I am in no way a Final Fantasy hater, I love the games, and have played/watched everything related to 7, so don't get mad at me. Saying that....

Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core has been a much hyped game for the PSP, that tells the story of what happened before FF7's events.

Graphics: 5/10. Character models are great, as are some of the environments. Anything to do with non-story missions, however are bland and overused. There are some excellent CGIs scattered about, but they are generally far apart

Gameplay: 3/10 Controls are easy to understand and responsive, but you can easily beat the game using nothing but the Attack and Item commands coupled with random Limit breaks. The difficulty level is rather low, unless you're attempting missions way beyond your capacity to do. Combat will frequently stop for a moment due to the slots system, which is how super, "limit break" attacks are performed. Sorry, you can't control or use them when you really need them, they are entirely random.

Replayability: 2/10 The replayability mostly comes from the "Missions", Missions are basically skirmishes against monsters with some sort of hollow reason behind them.The missions fall into these two categories:
-Find the monster and engage it.
-Boss battle rematch.
All of the missions are in those two categories, with different names, on one of around five maps. The maps have certain halls and such blocked off depending on the mission. If you're not a completist, there isn't much for you here.

Story: 9/10 Engrossing, emotional, but with sprouts of comic relief scattered to ease the tension. Some parts may confuse people who have not played Final Fantasy 7, as some terms and ideas are not expanded upon. It does at times feel to have a rather typical anime-ish story, with people flying through the air during combat and what not, but we'll look past that for the time being.

Music 8/10: Decent music, although many of the tunes will start to wear on you and begin to annoy.

Menu system: 8/10 Intuitive and simple. Decent Materia fusion system

Final score: 5 If you're a fan of Final Fantasy 7 and/or Dirge of Cerberus, or generally just a fan of generic story driven action rpgs, you'll probably like this game. If you're looking for a deep Action RPG, look elsewhere, I recommend the Monster Hunter games for PSP, in particular for a deep experience.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 03/28/08

Game Release: Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (US, 03/24/08)