Review by loganex28

"Crisis Core-an EPIC spinoff!"

First off,Crisis Core:Final Fantasy VII is a prequel to the #1 PS game,FFVII. It tells of the adventures of SOLDIER 2nd Class Zack Fair, as he tries to become SOLDIER 1st Class. There are many FFVII characters(Cloud Strife,Sephiroth, Aerith/Aeris Gainesborough, Yuffie as a young girl, and Tifa Lockehart) as well as some others. Crisis Core starts off with an impressive CG cutscene, then immediately starts a battle after it's over. The battle system is a fusion between Kingdom Heart's Free Movement and FFVII's Materia System. You level up by lining up 2 characters in the Digital Mind Wave(DMW) and going into the Modulating Phase and getting 777 and then you level up! And here's the ratings:

Gameplay-8.5/10

Crisis Core's gameplay is very exciting throughout the game, but it gets too repetitive after a while, especially in the New Game+(unlocked by beating the game and loading the Game Cleared save file) but it starts to pick up after getting more powerful. And sometimes the DMW just never seems to go to Modulating Phase once you are at a high level.

Music 9/10

Crisis Core's music is exquisite. Every new place has it's own music, and it's catchy too! I occasionally find myself humming to the tune!

Graphics 8.5/10

The CG animatics are superb, and the in-game graphics are some of the best the PSP has seen, but it's a little too blocky, and isn't as up to par as a PS2 game. But, I assure you, you get used to it after awhile.

Controls 9.5/10

Despite the PSP's control stick, Crisis Core's controls are pretty great. I never find myself going left when I try to go right,but the camera isn't exactly the best. It won't turn if there's a wall in the way(probably to prevent invisible walls), but it's hard to see what's around you in a small room. And the battle commands are very easy, just select what action you want to do with the L and R buttons, and hit X to execute.

Replay Value 9/10

The replay value of Crisis Core is astounding. There are many missions you can do, each getting harder as you go along, and the New Game+ lets you go back with your current level and equipment and go through the game again and get anything you missed. Also, try to get 100% of the DMW filled in to get a very awesome item.

Final Score-8.5/10

The game is a very great spin-off, and it fills you in more about FFVII. If I were you, I would get this game, even if it is a spin-off.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 04/07/08

Game Release: Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (US, 03/24/08)