Review by TrickstarEX

"A legacy that has impressed me since its original."

First I would like to point out that I am not a FF fanboy that will write a good review because I like the series. In fact I like alot of them and I hate alot of them. This is based on facts and not personal likes or dislikes to make the game seem bad.

I will not explain what the game is about since I figure alot of people interested in the game or people who know Final Fantasy know what its like anyways.

Gameplay 9/10

The most important thing to look at since FF7 Dirge of Cerberus because Dirge gameplay was horrific. This was very well done, very similar to Kingdom Hearts but with less freedom, none the less it is very easy to use and fun to play. One reviewer pointed out "Offense magic are useless, command skills are worthless compare to your normal attack, and most of the time you're better off equipping support materia. " I honestly don't think that is true, I use three offensive spells and one command skill, both are very usefull in fact they got me out of alot of binds in the game and even made it easier in the Very Hard missions. Actualy its the Command Skill that is most important if you want to really do damage to bosses. A great Example would be the hidden boss the Goddess. Although I have to admit it is very possible to beat the game by simply mashing the X button for attack. Dodge rolling is very usefull when fighting bosses or you want to quickly get away from an enemy for a moment. And Blocking is extremely usefull for a barage of attacks that hurt. Healing in the game is very important if you have trouble with the enemies and I'm glad to see the pheonix down carried from Dirge of Cerberus. The DMW is very neat for limit breaks and some say that you don't gain experiance and that you can only level up by the luck of getting triple 7 is also false. Each enemy provides an invisible EXP count that helps your chances of leveling up. You really won't get anywhere by skipping monsters.

Story 10/10

The story was amazing and very well done. It filled out alot of plot holes and answered so many questions about Zack and Sephiroth and even the Buster Sword. Cloud was no disapointment in fact I liked Cloud much better in this game then in the other FF7 games. There are a wide variety of characters that tie the story together that we have never seen in the previous games. Some scenes were done differently compared to the first FF7 game and some scenes were extremely familiar when Zack goes through the game. The final scene was awsome but sad becuase Zack dies in the end (don't act like you never knew...).

Difficulty 8/10

At first you might find the game to be difficult but when new game + arives its just too easy unless you take the time to do missions. Other than that it does get difficult in the missions in fact that is a really big part in the game so if you are looking for a challenge do the missions and you will not be disapointed.

Sound 10/10

Nobuo Uematsu is a musical genius and he again created another FF masterpiece. I downloaded all of the songs, it was very impressive. I honestly do not need to explain much on the music. The voices were very well done and you would not think twice about what each character sounds like, especialy Sephiroth.

Graphics 9/10

If the graphics are better than FFX that is perfect for the PSP. The CGI is great and the maps of the previous FF7 were remade very very well. One thing I did not like was the mission maps because it was very repetative and boring but the reward was what made it worth it and I don't think its a big deal since the missions are optional anyways. The scense look really good and the animation was very well done although I wish it was a little more fluent for my taste, but it is still much better than most FF games. And I am very happy to see that the FF7 characters are all well modeled.

Replayability 10/10

You will play this game at a minimum of 2 times mainly becuase the missions are very diffucult to do the first time and you really want to destroy your enemies who probably kept killing you as sweet revenge. And if you really love the game I don't see why people don't keep playing it to better their stats and skills and perfect themselves. I played the game up to 5 times and I am still playing it becuase I want everything maxed out so I can fight the Goddess which is the hardest boss in the game. It can get very challenging and when you perfect the game go through the final scene and take out the army the way Zack really did it and feel accomplished.

If you are the type of person to get frustraded easily with your enemies you might just beat it and thats it.

Overall Score 9/10

The game is beautifull overall almost perfect but the difficulty makes it almost boring unless you do the missions. I highly recomend buying it especialy if you are a die hard FF fan. Even if you stop playing it you will most likely pick it up again in the near future.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/30/08

Game Release: Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (US, 03/24/08)