Review by ouijaouija

"Nice insight into the FF7, hindered by boring fighting system"

After waiting for an awfully long time for the game, I happened to have preordered the European Crisis Core Special Edition, this comes with a small hardcover artbook and the game itself, both contained neatly in a cardboard box.

The box and book are pretty cool, but the binding in the book is poor, so the pages are creased. The box itself is fairly sturdy, it won't be breaking anytime soon... I can hardly complain as the preodered price is £24.99 (about $50).

Graphics 9/10
-------------

The graphics are very good, but because they are good, does not mean they I prefer them to the graphics in the original FFVII. The nice looking buildings and background scenery are rendered very well in 3d, but are very boring, and do not carry any atmosphere like the original ps1 version. I find this a problem with a lot of rpgs that now use 3d environments.

Graphics wise the only game I can think of that rivals/surpasses this is God of war, and maybe GTA

The camera can be a proeblm, like in other action games on the psp.

Gameplay 4/10
--------------

The fighting system is not particularly good, 80% of the game is just having endless amounts of stupid fights, the DMW will confound you at first, but you will get used to it. But after a while it becomes a hindrance because your normal attacks will take a maximum 9999 meaning the limit breaks/summons are time consuming, and you cannot even skip them. I found myself trying to complete the missions, but only got 50% of them done. I realised I was wasting my time.

There are a few little mini games scattered throughout that in all honesty are diversions more then an important element to the game.

On the plus side there are a few sidequests that are interesting and are reminiscient of the original game, such as going back to the old Shinra mansion and seeing Vincent's coffin.

FF7 was good because despite the huge number of battles you had to do, this was counteracted with the ability to explore and take a break from the main storyline. CC has little of this, exploration involves runnning around the village talking to people, you rarely if ever get to go inside the buildings.

Storyline 8/10
-------------------

The storyline with Genesis and Angeal was a little disjointed, I couldn't really see that storyline fitting in with the original FF7, however the real value of Crisis core is in visiting some of the old towns from the game, and also seeing the character development Sephiroth and Zack and having a deeper view of what happened in Nibelheim when Sephy went crazy.

Music 8/10
---------

Pretty solid, and nostalgic to hear some of the tunes, the music was spot on

Conclusion
-----------------

This game is in similar vein to Advent Children. A lot on image, less on the substance. Take away the gameplay and we have a very short (thought well directed) story. Near the end I found myself just wanting the game to end.

The fighting system was just boring. If I were to rate this game as a stand alone rpg without the ff7 influence, I'd give it a 5/10.

For ff7 fans this is a must buy, but be prepared to be bored by the fighting system

7/10 overall

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 07/07/08

Game Release: Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (Special Edition) (EU, 06/20/08)