Review by Lord_Noctis

"A great game"

I am here to review one of my favourite games, Crisis Core. Let me start by saying that this game is a prequel, to one of the most popular RPGs of all time. The original Final Fantasy 7 covered a massive jorney to save the world from a man driven insane by the truth of his heritage.

The first thing a prequel must have, is a solid connection to the source material. This game does. Focussing around SOLDIER member Zack Fair, as he weaves his way through a complex and tragic plot of love and betrayl, friendship and loss, comradiere and sacrifice.

Zack is an energetic, and positive young man, hoping to become a hero, like the mighty Sephiroth.

As the game moves along, Zack matures, and grows stronger as he faces new challenges and hardships.

Characters:The characters in this game are detailed and fun to watch. From cheerful Zack, to poetic Genesis, and lovely Aerith, each of them brings something unique to the table. Each one has a backstory rich with detail. The emotions in this game are shown very well, letting us truly feel empathy for the characters as they face their own battles.

No single character ever recieves to much attention, though some of them could have used more. Aerith, Zack's love interest, has suprisingly limited screen time as does Zack's mentor Angeal. However, this is a minor problem.

Music:This game has many remixes from the original, such as the 'The Worlds Enemy' A remix of OWA from FFVII. The music is generally good, though at times can feel a bit out of place when the characters aren't in the midst of fighting. However, it never becomes a real issue.

Graphics:For a PSP game the graphics suprised me. They easily rival anything the PS2 has, and the CGI cutscenes are almost completely lifelike. Some areas in the side mission can look the same, but since theya ren't essential to the main story you can ignore it.

Gameplay:This game plays well. The controls are easy to learn, and the combat is fun at first. Though, later on the combat can become a bit repetitive, but if you mix your materia right you should be able to keep things fresh for quite some time.

Story:The most important thing here is the story. As a prequel, it has to have a good story, and it has to stay true to the original. So the question is, does this game reach the standards that have been set by the original? Sort of. The story is very epic, and contains many plot twists you won't see coming. As a stand alone game, it would have been perfect.

However, as great as the story is, some scenes have been changed from the original, without much reason. These scenes don't flow like they should, and feel tedious. Luckily, they are not enough to ruint he overall story of this game, or the original.

Final Verdict:This game, despite some minor flaws, is a great buy and well worth the time you will spend on it. I give it an 8/10

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 12/23/08

Game Release: Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (US, 03/24/08)