Review by boxerthehorse

"Didn't play FFVII"

We've all heard of final fantasy VII, but some of us weren't old enough, some of us didn't have a PlayStation, and some of us were just dumb. Nevertheless, our failure to launch our RPG ing appropriately has come back to bite us in the butt.

Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII (CCFF) opens up with a beautiful CGI cut scene and immediately launches you into its fast paced combat oriented game play. You begin the game as a young trigger happy SOLDIER named Zack. The story is complex and sensitive and nearly any plot point could be considered a spoiler. Rest assured, Zack will grow up and you will frequently find yourself playing simply to see what will happen next.

When it comes to graphics and sound, everything is nearly perfect. It's to be expected seeing as square enix is the master of presentation. If you simply want to see what your PSP can do, you can stop reading now and go buy the game.

The game play gives you a dungeon crawler experience peppered with real time battles. There is no over world which does noticeably infringe on your exploration opportunities, but odds are good that you won't care. Combat is similar to a button mashing fighting game, sometimes too much so. You may be the person who plans every fight carefully and walks away unscathed nearly every single time, or you might be the fool who mashes the attack button until you reach a boss and find yourself scrambling to invent a successful strategy on the fifth or sixth go. The worst bit is this little roulette wheel that spins in the upper left hand corner of your screen. The thing will jump to the middle of your screen and attempt to launch a powerful attack with varying degrees of success and frequency. some people like it, some don't. You really have to try it and decide for yourself.

Aside from the main story, the game has 300 missions just for kicks and giggles. They get repetitive, but they're excellent if you've got ten minutes to kill, and they add boatloads to the game's replay value and addictiveness.

But mostly, you'll find it difficult not to appreciate the beauty of this game. Every character is coherent, the music is beautiful or frightening, the game play is addictive. Even if you're like me, and you haven't played FFVII, you won't regret buying this game.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 02/17/09

Game Release: Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (US, 03/24/08)