Review by Review4You

"Crisis Core is not the same game as FF7, it's better!"

Thank you for reading my review, I hope you find it informative.

First of all let me start out by saying I never really was a huge fan of FF7. My cousin thought it was the greatest thing ever so I played it and found it to be about average as games go. It had been a long time since I have played FF7, so when I finally decided to get Crisis Core, I thought I would end up missing out on some things since I wouldn't remember exactly everything that happened with FF7. One other thing I would like to add. If you haven't played FF7, you probably want to play this game first before you play FF7, Crisis Core is a prequel and will help understand some of the events in FF7. Let's start the review.

Graphics: 10 out of 10. This game is great looking, really shows nice what the PSP can do. From the game play graphics to the cut scenes, this game is awesome graphically. The characters look fantastic (did anybody else notice that Angeal looks like Charming from Shrek?). But still, the characters look great and are designed nice, even your old friends from FF7 look great redone on the PSP. The backgrounds and environments are also done very well. From the slums to Mako wells. You will get glimpses of towns that you never saw in FF7, and they look great. There's nothing too spectacular about each place, but none the less, the design works very well. Now the cut scenes, the CG, is awesome. It's Advent Children good and there's some nice long ones too. The summons are also in CG which was a surprise for me(last FF I played was FFX so not sure if this is something new to the series or not). Again, great job.

Sound: 5 out of 10: And hence the reason why the game is 8 out of 10. I was completely disappointed by the sound, well more specifically, the music. Everything is great, but the music is terrible. It's not at all what I expect from Final Fantasy. I guess Square was trying to set the music to some futuristic world?? I don't know but at least myself, do no think the music works at all. It's some weird like rock music. Even the Aerith theme from FF7 is changed to much to be enjoyable. And with that Crisis Core fails. FF7 had a much better soundtrack. Now when it comes to the voice acting, it's done very well. Zack almost has the annoying Tidus voice, but thankfully it's different enough. The other main characters with speaking roles, from Cloud to Sephiroth, are very good. Aerith is good, but she's well...we'll get into that in the next section.

Story: 10 out of 10. The story telling is superb. Even if you have never heard of FF7, this game is something you could pick up and play and get into right away. The dynamic cast of characters make the story that much more enjoyable. I never know what to say in this category because I don't want to spoil or ruin anything. You just have to trust in me that it's a good story line, and if you have played FF7 first, then it's even better as it ties in a lot of loose ends from that game.

Characters: 8 out of 10. I think this is an important category in RPG's because if the characters are not good, then the game is not going to be good no matter how well it plays. The main characters are all decent for the most part. The 4 main characters are Zack, Genesis, Angeal, and Sephiroth. All part of SOLDIER and all intertwined. They are all done well, you can see their individual personalities, you can feel their emotion, you can have genuine hate or liking for them. It's kinda like Star Wars Episode III. If you have played FF7 then you guys know what I'm about to say. Sephiroth is such a dynamic character, you want to like him, he wins you over, and no matter how hard you want it not to happen, you know what is going to happen. It's hard actually, and the story telling does a fantastic job. Angeal and Genesis are 2 new characters that were childhood friends, so you have the bond there, and the main character Zack, whom you only get glimpses from in FF7, is really a very good main character. You can feel and relate to his own struggles. The secondary characters, like the Turks and random SOLDIER members, are decent enough, the main Turks are voiced over well and played well. I don't remember what the Turks are or what they did in FF7, so I'm not sure what role they play in this game other than watching Aerith, it seems like they are just as much Shinra operatives as SOLDIER. The main secondary SOLDIER members do not talk, but they email you, and it's annoying as hell, at least in my opinion. You have other voiced characters like Hollander and Hojo, scientist, they are ok, I do not like Hollander, my opinion. Then there's Aerith. If I can complain about 1 character it would be Aerith. She's a little "special". Aerith is a little slow, and it can be annoying at times. The voice acting is good, her graphics are good, but her personality is pretty bland. I don't know, I expected more from her.

Gameplay: 9 out of 10. This is the first non turn based Final Fantasy game I have played so at first I wasn't sure what to expect. Well it actually works out rather nice. Basically the random battles still seem to be there, I think they are triggered by where you walk as I found you can stay close to the edges of area and you won't fight near as many battles. You can't see the enemies, other than boss enemies, which is why I think for the most part they are random based on where you walk. The combat itself is what you make of it. You can if you want, button mash the attack button, but it will only get you so far, especially in boss battles. You have slots for Materia(magic) attacks or slots for AP attacks, so you have to decide what kind of magic and attacks you want to equip. You also have 2 slots for accessories to help your stats. The first thing you are going to notice different in the combat is the DMW, which is basically a slot machine style wheel that once things match will either level you or start a limit break. This can happen pretty frequently and though it's cool to watch, after some time, it does start to get old and annoying. I've really found no pattern to leveling up, seems to be completely random and only happens when the DMW hits all 7's. If the DMW matches 2 numbers, then the spell in that slot will level up. It's a pretty cool concept and it does work well, it just can come about a little too often at times. I liked the combat a lot, I felt it was pretty easy to get used to, to navigate through spells, items and attacks, was pretty easy as well. It will take some getting used to, no doubt there, but it only takes like 5 minutes. If you read reviews bashing the combat of this game, then those gamers writing the review shouldn't be playing games, it's really very simple combat.

Throughout the game you will have missions, which I basically ignored except when I needed to try to gain some levels. Missions can be accessed at save points and basically they are all the same. Which blows. I've only done 7% of the missions (there are a ton), but every one has been where you go some where and kill something. It is very repetitive and boring, which is why I don't even bother anymore. The game will also throw some little mini game type things at you to try to keep things fresh. They are enjoyable for the most part, the one game I totally blew because I couldn't figure it out, the base infiltration. Nothing I did worked, so that was a drawback.

OVERALL is 8 out of 10. The game is fantastic. No RPG fan should miss this game. It's got great style, a great cast of characters and a great story. The music is not that good and the missions are boring, but the main story is worth it alone. If you haven't played this game, I would suggest you go get it as soon as possible.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 03/09/09

Game Release: Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (US, 03/24/08)