Review by Holmra

"Further destruction of a classic"

Simply put, this game's plot further destroys a classic RPG's story. Square has decided to make an entire collection of FF7 games/one movie, all which are written after the fact, and in fact feel very tacked on.

Gameplay 6/10
Graphics 9/10
Sound 6/10
Story 2/10
Overall 2/10 (not an average)

Gameplay
This game plays very much like any hack and slash game, there is an attempt at strategy and use of magic and not just hacking and slashing but I ended up hacking and slashing the entire game away asking myself why I decided that I would finish the game. There is an interesting level up system involving a slot machine, that seems random but isn't, and gives you limit breaks when all of the faces and numbers match up (unless all 7's match up, then you level up), which all are graphically pleasing and break up the monotony of hacking and slashing. After playing for hours and hours, you will tire of this though. The gameplay wears on you after a while, the best it gets is with the slot machine, other than that, the system is very repetitive.

Graphics
No complaints here, amazing as far as PSP graphics go, these are PS2 caliber graphics and everything in the game looks very good, as to be expected with every Square Enix game. Everything is very nice to look at, especially if you've played FF7, you'll have a new perspective of the FF7 world through the graphics.

Sound
Yes, I only gave the sound a 6. Voice acting was solid all around and the dialog was fairly well written. The biggest issue I have with the sound is a completely unmemorable soundtrack. I cant recall any music from the game, it was all very bland.

Story
...no comment. Anyone who has played FF7 knows the story here, but the problem is that it is radically different than what was in FF7, it actually goes back and changes what happened after the Mako and Jenova exposure to Zack and Cloud. This aspect of the game brings everything else crashing down. Two of the most important characters in this game are Genesis and Angeal, both which are characters that are incredibly tacked on due to the length of the game, and total lack of mention of them in the FF7 main game. There are good aspects to the story however, that would be Aeris' (yup, I refuse to call her Aerith) character development, and Zack's development. Zack was outlined in FF7 but not totally explained, he is an enigma, he's an interesting character and due to Aeris' development, they are believable as a couple. Aeris herself is a much more likable character in Crisis Core. In FF7 she went from a flirty dainty girl to a "I know everything about everything" character literally overnight, and it was why I never cared when she died in FF7. That's about all I have to say about that. Pretty much, the story is a slap in the face to anyone who likes FF7 and understands the plot of FF7 along with the characters (save for Zack and Aeris).

In closing, rent or buy? Pass. Simply put, I wish I would have never played this game so I don't have to recall it when I replay FF7.

Reviewer's Score: 2/10 | Originally Posted: 07/15/09

Game Release: Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (US, 03/24/08)