Review by SamsSung

"Zack is his name, and what a game!"

I've just finished a superb game. As a prequel, the game's ending was already known to me. However, there were so many things to discover in it. There were many extra bits that made this game intriguing to a former FF7 player.

From beginning with a minor mission at the start, the game began with a single person's story, only to expand into a thorough saga between a plethora of interesting characters. With Zack, SOLDIER 2nd Class began a web of ongoing stories, such as the war between Shinra and Wutai and the mysterious Sephiroth, Angeal, and Genesis.

Graphics-wise, this game was complete, with detailed character and enemy models. Also, there was a lot of detail to each environment and background. Some of the backdrop was reused in various mini-missions, but the game was entertaining enough to overlook the usage. The cutscenes were like that of a movie, with superb cg animation. For a PSP game, the graphics of Crisis Core really utilized the effects of the system.

Gameplay and control-wise, the game was well-done. Battles were that of an action-rpg, with a lot of button mashing. What I liked about the gameplay most was the usage of materia in this game, in which you could equip various types of materia to your in-battle stock. There was also a roulette system that would control leveling up one's character and materia. Having played on Normal Mode, the game was quite easy, but I had no real complaints. One thing to note was that it was imperative to take on extra missions to be able to retrieve important materia and equipments, and usually doing so helped to level up the main character.

Sound-wise, the game was perfect. I could recognize the remixes of some FF7 songs, and some original compositions as well. The voice-acting was quite good for an English dubbing, and each character was portrayed well in voice.

As for replay-value, it was a mixed bag. The game was fun and entertaining, but less than 20 hours to complete. There still were extra missions that could've been done, but they would only be simple ones, like battling more enemies and getting items. Personally, this seems like a game meant to be played once, and then played again some time afterwards just to go through the storyline again.

Overall, I'd rate this game 9.5/10 aka 9/10. It was a good experience, and I'm glad to have played it. Anyone who's played FF7 should definitely try this game out. It won't be a regret.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/21/11

Game Release: Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (US, 03/24/08)