Review by SetzerGabbiani

"It's time to get "FEARsome as a FOURsome!""

Sony hits big with Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade as it's only launch game in the Role Playing genre.

Gameplay is beautiful. The controls couldn't really get much better. The analog stick is used for either walking or running, depending on how far it is pushed in any given direction. Yes, I said any direction. No longer are handhelds forced to move in only eight directions. You've got a full 360 degrees to work with. :D Attacking and using skills are nothing out of the ordinary. My only real complains with gameplay are the absolutely horrendous load times when moving from region to region and the difficulty to block enemy attacks. I can't count the time's I've used a special attack assigned to "O" instead of blocking and almost dying because of it.

The gameplay really shines in multiplayer mode, where up to four warriors may team up and fight a common foe. In most games, to compensate for extra players, there are just more enemies crowding up the screen. The PSP's GODLY screen could have easily handled it, but instead the enemies get a few shots of steroids and are pumped up to various levels depending on how many people are playing.

Wait, there was a story? Nah, the story was there, but it was nothing special. Enemies are attacking, you are the hero that saves the day. Blah blah blah. NEXT!

Look at the forest, the towns, the people, the armor and weapons. Everything in this game is beautifully crafted to be as visually pleasing as possible and is displayed perfectly on the PSP's LCD screen. Camera movements are done flawlessly and the game has virtually no ghosting or lag time whatsoever. The load times that were mentioned before are at least accompanied by nice drawings and sketches of characters or beasts.

The music is... well. There is music. It gets a little repetitive and after the first twenty minutes of playing, it gets zoned out. The sound effects on the other hand, ring loud and clear with absolute perfect timing. Almost like you went back to the middle ages and are there beside your hero as (s)he swings their mighty sword!

Play Time: 10/10
Hours at a time can be easily passed by in the blink of an eye. I have yet to find myself bored with this game, even after completing the main quest two times solo and once with a friend.

Replayability: 10/10
All right, let's look at all the options.
You can select one of four races, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.
Every dungeon is completely random. This includes monster locations, chests, drops, even the layout of the dungeon!
This game can be played either by yourself, or with one, two, or three friends!

Final Recommendation: 9/10
Untold Legends is a must have for any PSP owner. If you need your RPG fix, throw down the $40 and pick up a copy of Untold Legends. While it's not quite perfect, it is extremely fun to play and will surely not disappoint you.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/29/05