Review by xcamel24

"Power UP!"

Okay we've got a winner here. Not too far ahead of this game was Megaman Maverick Hunter X, which was pretty much a solid remake of the original Megaman X game for SNES, with minor changes and the addition of an extra playable character. With that in mind I wondered what they would do with Megaman Powered Up. I am very pleased.

The graphics are stellar, but not perfect, as nothing usually is. Things really look quite nice, and the character animations are incredibly fluent and good looking. However because things look so great and so many things happen at once, there is a good bit of slow down that can occur at certain points in the game. This can cause some pretty good frustration, but for the most part it doesn't get in the way, and can even be advantageous.

This is where the game holds its own against ANY PSP title out there. There is of course, the Original Megaman for NES on here, with the graphical update, but sound and levels kept intact. But oh, there is so much more. Capcom decided to add 8 BRAND NEW levels, including 2 BRAND NEW bosses. The new levels that contain the old bosses are reminiscent of their NES counterparts, but with a great amount of change to keep things fresh. Not only that, but Capcom decided to make 11 DIFFERENT Playable characters. Two of them even have different forms you can select from. Not enough for you? Don't like the original levels? Fine, make your own! That's right, a CUSTOM LEVEL DESIGNER comes along in the package. Whats better is you can host your levels online via WIFI, and download other levels as well. Megaman has never looked better. Not to mention, there are 100 challenge levels also, to test your jumping, dodging, and blasting skills.

I have to say, what capcom did was excellent. If you decide to play "Classic" mode for Megaman, you will play the old NES levels in their graphical update, but keeping in touch with sound. The music is directly from the NES game. So purists unite, you won't lose much with this version. However, since this is the 21st century, every game remake needs remixed music. And when you play "New" mode, you get all those remixed versions, and some new tunes for the new stages. The greatness of the original is still here.

Replay: 10/10

I haven't played another game since I picked this one up. The custom level designer has kept me busy for at least 20 hours already. The gameplay levels are another 5, so already this game has outlasted many platformers and even a few RPGs. Plus with there being 11 playable characters you might just want to beat the game a few extra times.

Difficulty: 7/10

This and graphics will keep this game at a 9. Although the difficulty in games lately has been low, if this was the only game you played you would never know it. Some levels will just get downright frustrating, and some bosses are almost impossible to beat even at full health. But the advantage to this is 3 separate difficulties to choose from, Easy, Normal, and Hard. Of course, you can't unlock anything cool by beating easy mode. But all that aside, the challenge level is somewhat expected, as the original was just as hard. I have good respect for most of the challenge put into this game.

This game is really worth anyone's time, unless you're not interested in making your own levels, which then I guess you are missing out. I recommend this game to anyone who has a PSP.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 05/30/06