Review by AsKo25

"Finally, a truly great original title for the PSP that everyone can enjoy."

So I got LocoRoco a couple days ago, and I finished it yesterday. It's a very good game, and definitely worth playing if you own a PSP.

The graphics in this game are 2D bliss. Very cartoony style, like something out of a little kid's weekday morning television program (it teaches a better message too, stick together with your friends :P). The game runs at a full 60 frames per second and there was never any cases of slowdown, mainly because there isn't that much stuff on the screen at one time, even if you split your guy up. The colours are so vibrant and beautiful, and the characters animate fluidly. Great graphical style that really works for this game. It really made me smile.

Music and Sound: 9/10
I absolutely loved the music in this game. Lots of the game's music is actually sung by the characters themselves during the game, and the music is just really well done and fun to listen to. All of the characters sing in a made-up language called simply "LocoRoco Language", so that the music would be the same in all versions of the game. The only problem I have with the music is that it tends to recycle the same songs several times for all the levels. Other than that, the music is very well done.

The gameplay in this game just works. You control your Loco by rotating the world with the left and right shoulder buttons, and pressing both buttons wil make the characters jump. You try and guide your little guy through the level, and along the way you'll find little berries that you can eat to make your character bigger, and increase your numbers when you split apart. You split apart to fit through small areas and to be blown on gusts of wind that take you to the next area. Unlike Katamari Damacy, which also had an uncoventional control scheme (that wasn't so great in my opinion), this game is very well-suited to the PSP and doesn't feel awkward or uncomfortable at any point in time. Lovely job.

Extras, Bonuses, and Length: 8/10
The game may seem longer than it is, because it boasts 5 worlds with 8 levels each, but as I said, I finished the game only two days after I got it. There's a level editor and other little extras which are pretty cool, and it's also a lot of fun to just go back and fins any berries or items you missed in the main levels. Hopefully there will be downloadable levels or something similar to that.

Overall, I would give the game a 9/10, it's an excellent game and it really shows that there can be good original games for the PSP.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/31/06