Review by Firestorm229

"Forget the arcade, save up 120 quarters and pick up OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast for the PSP!"

This was my first dive into the age-old OutRun series. I wanted a new racer (Burnout was getting kind of old), so I took a leap of faith and bought Outrun: 2006 Coast 2 Coast for my PSP. I have no regrets.

No major problems, although some minuscule slowdowns do occur. The cars look incredibly polished, as do background textures. What really amazed me was the draw distance. There wasn't any. Everything was already on screen; nothing popped up out of thin air. Very nice job.

The Ferraris sound exactly as they're supposed to, nice powerful roars in the engines; nice tire screeches too. I found the music to be okay, but nothing worth commending. Very blah, generic BGM, but you can buy some tracks in the Showroom. I suggest that you do, before your ears start to bleed.

There are a billion things you can do in this game. There's the classic OutRun mode, where you grab your Ferrari and your girlfriend and race against the clock to the finish. Then you have the Heart Attack mode, where your girlfriend will bark out orders that you have to attempt to fulfill, ranging from hitting cars or not crashing to running down ghosts or dodging meteors. There is also a Time Attack mode, where you try to beat a record time on a given course. A nice added feature is the downloadable ghosts; if you have Wifi, you can download other people's ghosts and "race" them. Last but certainly not least, the OutRun 2 SP, a famed arcade version of OutRun has been included in its entirety. Believe me, you won't get bored anytime soon.

Online: 7/10
What???No chat function??? No headset compatibility??? There is absolutely no communication whatsoever online, so sharpen your telepathy skills. There is also a lack of players right now (there's a 70/30 chance that there will be no players at any given time, and when there are, there are around 20), but I'm expecting that to change as time wears on. There's nothing wrong with the actual racing aspect, but that's about all you get, along with a Friends list and Players list. The add-ons are really not a necessity, but it still would have been really nice to have them.

Replay Value: 8/10
I personally never get tired of arcade racing. You might, but even if you do, this game will still last you a long time (see Gameplay for list of game modes).

Rent/Buy: Buy. It's a bargain at 30 USD, but I would have been prepared to pay 40. It's got lots to do, and I really don't care if there's no comm online.
It's a solid racer, and that is a fact.

OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast has claimed the throne of PSP racing. Will you be among the new world order?

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 05/07/06