Review by Shogain

"It really does matter."

Ratchet & Clank is a popular franchise following the adventures of Ratchet and his robot pal, Clank. Currently with 6 installments, the series has sold over a million copies and has gotten general praise from critics. Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters was developed solely for the PSP by a different developer, High Impact Games. Being that this is my first Ratchet game, it was an okay game.

Story - [4/10]
On a cool, breezy beach, you see Ratchet and Clank on a vacation, enjoying their every last freedom. But what do you know, a little girl wants to take a photo with her superhero, and soon after, she gets kidnapped. It's up to Ratchet and Clank to go rescue her, and so the story goes on like that. As you go through the game, the story lacks interest, and all you will care about will be the gameplay. In short, the story is nothing to be attentive of.

Gameplay - [7/10]
The gameplay in Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters should be described as a fun, short experience. It involves platforming, action and fun! If your familiar with the Ratchet series, then you won't be surprised with the platforming in the game. As Ratchet, you'll see yourself jumping across gaps or wall jumping to get to your destination. You can also double jump and hover down slowly with his gadget. But that's not all of course. There will be enemies coming after you, and that's when the action comes in. With an arsenal of weapons, you'll easily take out the enemies before you. Whether it be with the Mootator, which transforms your enemies into harmless cows, or the Acid Bomb Glove, which surrounds the area with sticky acid.

Of course, when you get damaged, you'll begin to lose health. Your health will be represented by a number, instead of just a bar. As you dispose of your enemies, you'll begin to increase your health like an experience bar, and get stronger. But of course, the enemies also get stronger as you get further in this game. They will deal more damage, but you can equip armor, which boosts your defenses up. These equipments are scattered throughout the game, and whenever you find all of one set, you will gain special bonuses when you equip them. For example, the Wild Fire set will enchant your wrench with flames.

But of course, we can't forget about the gadgets that Ratchet has a hold of. These gadgets are used to help Ratchet get across tough spots. For example, when you come across lava in your way, you'll have to bust out your Hypershot, and swing across it by hooking your Hypershot to spheres. Not all gadgets are used for such conditions.

Some of the things I didn't like about the gameplay were how ridiculously strong the enemies keep getting, and how they kept taking more hits than need be. Another problem I should note would be the camera. It can get a bit awkward, but you can fix that by pressing the R and L button. Overall, I thought the gameplay was okay, nothing too special.

Graphics - [7/10]
The graphics in itself, is definitely great for the PSP. The game shines itself with colorful graphics, and freshens the gameplay with smooth textures. The character models are also detailed well, and I found nothing wrong with the graphics. In conclusion, the graphics fit well with the game.

Final Word -
Considering how I got it with the PSP 3000 bundle, I can't say for sure if it's worth your money. The length is very short, maybe over 5 hours at best. If you can find it cheap for under 10 dollars, and if your a Ratchet fan, you should definitely check it out. All in all, I enjoyed Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters for what it was, but it definitely didn't leave an impression on me.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 06/16/09

Game Release: Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters (US, 02/13/07)